Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2010, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

They are calling it "slope failure"

In San Antonio. We have had a lot of rain after a long drought. Not sure if that is a factor. Some of these developers cut corners. I have worked around some of the job sites and have seen things that don't look right but heck, if you cover it with enough dirt... I was under the impression that all of these slopes greater than 4 ft. needed to be engineered. That "retaining" wall looked a little shoddy for holding back that much dirt but was supposedly engineered. Another issue I see, a number of developers clear all the trees out under "ag use" while the cows are still grazing and before the property becomes a development. But that's another loophole the greedy developers use to rape the land. No roots to hold the soil. Poor soils, high clay content, no place for water to go..disaster.
Not saying this was one of those cases but it's common here and a lot of that dirt looks like fill.

http://www.ksat.com/slideshow//news/...87/detail.html

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-26-2010, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

WOW! I wonder how the insurance companies are reacting to that. Did this happen all at once or gradually? Looks like aftermath from an earthquake.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmaker View Post
WOW! I wonder how the insurance companies are reacting to that. Did this happen all at once or gradually? Looks like aftermath from an earthquake.
happened in a few hours then really started spreading. you can read about it at www.ksat.com it's big news here

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-26-2010, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I think Centex may be in a bit of trouble beings the city said no permit was issued for the wall that failed. I am sure someone is scrambling to find the engineered plans for the wall!!
Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

thats absolutely ridiculous. I agree that these developers feel they can get away with murder because they have their "contacts" in the local or state level governments. I dont trust development built houses, lots of cut corners etc...
Old 01-26-2010, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I wonder how much of the soil was fill behind the wall?
Engineering a wall that size is important but without inspections during construction by the engineering firm they can always say the wall was not installed correctly.
What a mess.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmaker View Post
I think Centex may be in a bit of trouble beings the city said no permit was issued for the wall that failed. I am sure someone is scrambling to find the engineered plans for the wall!!
Looks like Centex has admitted to not having/getting the permits.....

"A representative for Centex Homes admitted Tuesday afternoon that the company didn't have the right permits to build the failed retaining wall and are are to blame for the subsequent hillside collapse that has devastated a Northwest side community"
Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This interests me alot. I am going to follow this. By Centex stepping up first they set up an interesting offensive posture. Watch their attorney's earn their money now.......they will go after the city as being a culpable party for what ever legal reason they can, cost the city big bucks in legal fees and then come to some type of settlement where they share ownership of the situation. Lot's of subs will be bankrupt by this by being drug into the mix. Interesting stuff........
Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSet N' Grade View Post
This interests me alot. I am going to follow this. By Centex stepping up first they set up an interesting offensive posture. Watch their attorney's earn their money now.......they will go after the city as being a culpable party for what ever legal reason they can, cost the city big bucks in legal fees and then come to some type of settlement where they share ownership of the situation. Lot's of subs will be bankrupt by this by being drug into the mix. Interesting stuff........
they didn't exactly step up. At first they stated there was engineered plans and permit but the city had no record..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSet N' Grade View Post

maybe they will stop using exchange students to build all the rock work in San Antonio. It's entirely possible the plans were in a foreign language.. English.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-27-2010, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

something like that happened around here, ended up that the city had to move 4-6 houses.The city give them 175 000$ each to move there homes,since its was the city;s fault for hiring idiots to do the work.

21" Toro Super bagger 2011