Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2010, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNyz View Post
Where does it state in the thread starter's post that he is digging a 2.5' average dept trench? To me with the information he gave the french drain is only going to be 6"x6" enough for a 4" sock. I think you need to READ the post before you put in your two cents. If you do bid jobs everyday like we do you become accustom to what other bid for this type of work. Drainage bids in S E Pa come in at 17.00 per foot for for 4" pipe for a french drain around a home. This is the correct answer for the information the thread starter gave in his post. Did your A D D kick in?
ADHD - more like. youre right - wrong reply for this post - $17 per linear foot is right on target for a drain one foot deep - whats your industry standard for a drain that actually gets deeper than one foot deep - still $17 per foot? if so - i sure got some sub-work for you!

w.a.reid
Old 01-27-2010, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Industry standard is the wrong phase, I should of wrote industry rate in my area. Once I go over 1 foot it is whole different ball game. It usually gets done at a time and materials rate. Labor rate would be $60.00 per man hour plus all equipment charges. I don't usually get into anything over 18" deep, besides a pit at the end of the drain.

You are from TX and I am from SE Pa so soil conditions and prices per foot should be different in dept and length.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

youre right about the soil issues for sure - i can go from one end of town and have sand/silt issues - and drive 15 minutes to the other end of town and have red clay that not only turns into bowling balls when dug out and dried up - but will also stain your clothes - takes a chisel to remove from your shovel once dried - and you cant plant a tree in the stuff without leaving the rootball halfway up and out of the stuff because the hole will NOT drain and the tree will simply drown.

when i think of PA soil - i picture "the good stuff" - black and rich where anything grows....must be nice.

w.a.reid

and i moved my post to the correct thread - "french drain estimate"