Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2010, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1995 f250 dump insert?

I was going to put a dump insert in my truck. Gvw 8600 title says truck weighs 4300 lbs so that leaves me 4300lbs for insert and material. But i get registration in mail today and it says the weight is 5340 lbs. What gives? What numbers do i use? How do I figure what my towing capacity is? I have a gvw on sticker and front and rear axle gcvw( might be in wrong order).

2000 CHEVY 2500
Country Clipper Boss 52
CUB CADET TANK 60
CUB CADET 33
GRAVELY SW21
Sthil trimmer's
Sthil edger
Sthil hedge trimmer
Sthil tiller
Echo blower's
Old 01-27-2010, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go find a scale and weigh the truck empty. That's the only way you'll know what your curb weight is.

After that you can do the math to figure how much payload you can handle. Not much for the F-250, might be better off finding a dump trailer.

Towing capacity is up to you and the truck. As long as you don't exceed CDL weight ratings and the tongue weight of what you are pulling doesn't exceed the trucks GVWR, then you are good to go.

Also, here in Illinois, for commercial plates, you register your truck for the amount of weight you want to carry. I don't know how your licensing is set up, but you might want to look into it.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds to me like you're only registered to gross 5340. That is a problem if you plan on hauling more than 1040 pounds (including yourself). The truck will handle the weight of the insert and most of the stuff you will be putting in it, just don't get caught over-gross of what the truck is registered for.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I second finding a scale. My registration says my 96 F250 4x4 ext cab diesel only weighs like 5400lbs or somthing stupid. On a scale full of fuel, me in it and toolbox in the bed it weighs like 7600. I don't know how your state is setup with registration, but in kansas any tag you get for a pickup is an automatic 12k tag, I dont think we have a truck tagged for less than 20k but on a 3/4 ton you should never need more than a 12k tag unless you're pulling a big load. That's why we get the 20k tags, when you're truck weighs 8k, trailer 3-4 once you start putting a load on that trailer it doesn't take long to 20k lbs. Now, will you 250 hold more than a gross of 8600? Speaking from experience oh yeah. Anybody that runs an 8' salter in the back of a 3/4 ton truck is weighing wayyyy more than that. I'm not gonna say what my scale ticket was when I pulled out of the salt pile with my salter and plow on the 96, but I decided to take the sideboards off my salter and pay attention to the loader operator after that.
22' goosneck flatbed 20' 14k tilt bumper pull skid trailer 18' tandem flatbed
05 JD 737 60" Z
07 JD 657A 54" Quik-trak
11 Z925A JD
Deere 36 w/b hydro
Toro 44 hydro
Deere 21's
Lesco Spreaders
RedMax stihl shindaiwa
200 gal spray rig
Billy Goat truck loader
7753 Bobcat
Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

You need to first get the registration fixed then go and weigh the truck then find out how much the dump insert weights.
Add the truck weight and the dump insert together. then subtract this weight from you new registration weight.
Now see if it's worth your wile in payload.
You may be better off just getting a dump trailer.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker51 View Post
I second finding a scale. My registration says my 96 F250 4x4 ext cab diesel only weighs like 5400lbs or somthing stupid. On a scale full of fuel, me in it and toolbox in the bed it weighs like 7600. I don't know how your state is setup with registration, but in kansas any tag you get for a pickup is an automatic 12k tag, I dont think we have a truck tagged for less than 20k but on a 3/4 ton you should never need more than a 12k tag unless you're pulling a big load. That's why we get the 20k tags, when you're truck weighs 8k, trailer 3-4 once you start putting a load on that trailer it doesn't take long to 20k lbs. Now, will you 250 hold more than a gross of 8600? Speaking from experience oh yeah. Anybody that runs an 8' salter in the back of a 3/4 ton truck is weighing wayyyy more than that. I'm not gonna say what my scale ticket was when I pulled out of the salt pile with my salter and plow on the 96, but I decided to take the sideboards off my salter and pay attention to the loader operator after that.
I still say stay in an acceptable range in the manufactures GVWR. That rating is there because the frames, brakes, and drivetrain, and are designed for that specific GVWR, or class of truck.

I'm sure that I could easily haul 6 tons in my F-350 that has a GVWR of 11,000, but I'm not going to because it doesn't have rear disk brakes in the rear and rear axle isn't a heavier Dana axle, and it doesn't have a couple of frame cross-members that you have on a 450 and up.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.