Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueribbonlawns View Post
I flush mine about every three oil changes, keeps all the metal fragments out of the tranny providing better cooling and longer life.
But im running a custom 450hp tune.
How far do you go on an oil change? I go between 5000 and 7500 miles. Just curious as to how often you flush the tranny (mileage wise).
Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Man Dave View Post
Some will say flush, some will say just the fluid in the pan and the filter, some will say leave it.

You will hear just as many horror stories from people that did either of the above.

To get a good laugh ask the dealer if they will replace the tranny if it takes a dump X amount of miles after the flush...

Also remember that filter's get dirty and this restrict's flow.... it is a gamble regardless of what you do at this point.

The main problem people have with just a pan fluid and filter change is that if the filter does not get "locked in" and the tranny sucks's in air with fluid or the filter fall's into the pan.....

Doing nothing the filter will continue to filter and collect debris and it will just be a waiting game... As long as the fluid looks good and does not smell burnt you SHOULD be ok when it comes to the fluid...... It is like motor oil, it will start to look old and with trenny fluid it will smell burnt when something is going on.
Why are they removing the internal filter in the first place? Allison says to change it only on an overhaul.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyNut View Post
Why are they removing the internal filter in the first place? Allison says to change it only on an overhaul.
yeah, really?

If its like any other internal filter you gotta tear the tranny apart, which means out of the truck and at a transmission shop..

thats alot of un needed work imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPsDuramax View Post
How far do you go on an oil change? I go between 5000 and 7500 miles. Just curious as to how often you flush the tranny (mileage wise).
I change mine every 3-4k depending on the season in the summer 3 in the winter 4.
So probably about every 10k
Ill be changing it more once i get my new sun coast stage 5 and start running the synthetic fluid.