Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Nitrogen pellets

anybody use these? i have seen good results in color and and an increased grow rate. what do you guys use?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

R U talking about Nitrogen... as in NPK???
What is the pellet , made of?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stihlboy View Post
anybody use these? i have seen good results in color and and an increased grow rate. what do you guys use?
i believe what you are referring to is fertilizer. which does contain nitrogen...John deere landscapes is a good place to buy fertilizer.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

no hes talking about urea..and yes if you put it down straight it will turn a deep green but you have to watch putting it down...A.It will streak very easy if ur not careful B.It can burn very easy if temp is higher C.It does nothing to strenghtn roots system,it just helps growth and color,you need the phosphorus in there to strengthen roots and pottasium to strenghtn the plant.It used to be the way applicators would cheat,theyd think as long as the customer has a green lawn they r happy.A bag of urea used to be 6-7 bucks but now it just as high as a bag with all components.You will get a deeper green lawn with the 46-0-0 urea but i encourage you not to put it down because in the long run the lawn is not as thick and not healthy.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressed View Post
no hes talking about urea..and yes if you put it down straight it will turn a deep green but you have to watch putting it down...A.It will streak very easy if ur not careful B.It can burn very easy if temp is higher C.It does nothing to strenghtn roots system,it just helps growth and color,you need the phosphorus in there to strengthen roots and pottasium to strenghtn the plant.It used to be the way applicators would cheat,theyd think as long as the customer has a green lawn they r happy.A bag of urea used to be 6-7 bucks but now it just as high as a bag with all components.You will get a deeper green lawn with the 46-0-0 urea but i encourage you not to put it down because in the long run the lawn is not as thick and not healthy.
OK, I'm good now...

What does a particular fertilizer, have to do with, Long Term results???
Is there a fertilizer, that makes, turf, grow, forever more???

What does, $6 or $7/k, have to do with the lawn?

Pellets, or Urea, are meaningless, to good turf.
What if it is sand? Wash sand as in FL.?? What if, is it is clay, as in GA?? What if, it is High pH , as in Utah??

Most of the N, in an NPK bag is wasted... Why??? Because it is...

I'm glad you noticed the N burn possiblity. Was that an accident?

What R U talkin about here??? Talk to me , man...

Hey, Stihlboy... N is gonna make the grass a nice Green Bay Packer Green... No question about that... But ... What about the off-season??
Old 01-28-2010, 04:57 AM
LawnSite Member

im not really worried about off season as the snow pretty much eliminates the need to mow, i have seen a guy kill his lawn by using too much fertilizer.
made for one hell of a catch up the two years though every two days he had to mow lol
Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Smallaxe,if you are not a veteran in lawncare then you probly didnt understand a word.Sorry,sometimes i dont take that into consideration when talking about lawncare.Alot of the things i talked about you would have been around the block a time or to to understand.Stihlboy i hope my post helped you