Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-05-2003, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Question about marketing

Hello everyone,

I am a new member but have been reading the forums for a little while.

My question is can anyone give me a ballpark idea on how many people respond to door hangers for basic lawn maintence?

If location makes a big difference I live in eastern N.C.

I am a 40 year old wannabee LOL and would appreciate any advise. I have held a high stress job for the last 10+ years and I am looking to start something where at least my headaches are for my "own" business.

My wife thinks I have lost my mind LOL but I have always had the entrepenual spirit and Im not getting any younger : )

I dont know why I am rambling on so I will end with this. Any good advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve
Old 01-05-2003, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the average is about 1%...welcome to lawn site!
Old 01-05-2003, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Steve, i agree with MandM about 1 - 2%.

I see you quote scripture, you just need to remember that whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men (or yourself)
Colossians 3:23
Old 01-05-2003, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Steve,

Of course that will depend on several factors... timing, your offer, the door hanger itself, the neighborhood... etc..., but a few responses out of 100 should be enough to get you busy...

The most important part of marketing is timing... During the Spring flush of growth it to lanscapers like the Christmas season is to retailers... Learn from them and focus the majority of your advertising just before, during, and after the first warm spell in the Spring...

Second suggestion is to pass out the fliers in an area that uses landscape services... never be afraid of the big boys and the competition... you will find your niche as I did....

Door hangers will be a very cost effective and targeted way to build your business... the main thing is you really just need to get some business and do great work...

I've built and sold 8 landscape businesses in 12 years with over 500 residential and commercial accounts... please feel free to send my your email and I will be happy to help you all I can...

Good Luck, Clay

P.S. I am sure that we can put your wife to ease as I have been able to produce a six figure income as a one man show by building and selling.... I would bet you can double your old salary... do ya think it's possible????
Old 01-06-2003, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all very much for the responses and the welcome. I do truly appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

Clay Im sure I will take you up on your e-mail offer I just have to figure out what I need to know(LOL which is everything).

I went and looked at a woods mower today that had a 25 hp kohler (im sure i miss-spelled that) motor. Is this a decent machine?

Im sure I will have a bunch of questions but I will try not to be to big of a nusiance : )

Thanks again guys!

Steve