Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought mulch helped plants even after it lost its color? It is organic so it should help the plants. Only reason I would remove mulch would be if it had a fungus growing on it or if they wanted turf or something besides mulch.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
ALL mulch helps the roots of shrubs and trees and will decompose into the soil and only help the trees and shrubs roots. I have mulched thousands and thousands of plants and trees and have never killed one and most of the time the plants thrive when you add mulch to there root balls. I am mesmorized when I here of companies removing mulch from around trees and shrubs. I also think if a client can afford mulch then why not try to upsell them on a plant health care program for there entire landscape. jmo
Well almost, but I don't see any Rock or rubber mulch decomposing in my area or contributing to plant health. However, organic type mulches do generally break down and adds nutrients & organic material to the soil that supports microorganisms that improves soil structure.

Also, it controls water loss by evaporation, suppresses weed seed germination, improves soil surface tension to better allow for absorption, controls soil temperature which can add to plant stress and slows erosion. On top of all that it adds beauty to the landscape.

For all the above reasons I hate rock that's used as mulch for plants. The day it's put in, is the best it will ever look! It sinks, traps organic material within it's spaces, holds water underneath which weed seeds just love and is hard to maintain (to keep out of the grass areas). It doesn't have any plant benefits, it's heavy and it a real PITA to take out years later.

Lastly, it offers no annual renewal income to replace, is a liability when it takes flight and IMHO it's fugly.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Man you nailed that one on the head !
Old 01-28-2010, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bo View Post
Man you nailed that one on the head !
Thanks, Jim Bo.

Come to think of it, what I kind of did was list some selling points for Mulch to your clients. Oh well, feel free to copy.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree mulch is great for the soil, is more aesthetic than rock, and has soil temperature and moisture regluating capabilities. I use it when I can. However, here in Colorado we have something called wind. Mix wind with very dry conditions, and that wood mulch can easily end up in Kansas. So, I have to be careful when using wood mulch in certain exposures. When I have to, I like to break up large expanses with a mixture of 2-4" and 5-12" cobble in some areas, then 1 1/2" river rock in others, and then wood mulch in others. That way there isn't a "sea" of 1 1/2" river rock everywhere. I HATE THAT!

Anyway, good question and great link Barry!
http://www.glacierviewlandscape.com