Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2003, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Redmax EB431 lockedup

Whats the chances that I can get away with new piston,ring,top bearing and just honing the cylinder? what does it cost for a complete rebuild ? its a 41cc engine and no more than 2 years old blower. Straight gas has been put into this engine.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would change the cylinder. Your taking a chance with your new parts if not. That would be money wasted if it didn't work. (honing the scoring out). Chances are that the lower end is fine but since you into it that far you could tear it completely down and do a lower rebuild. (best repair)

If you just want to get it going without much money then you could hone the cylinder and file down the piston scores and polish the piston with a scotch brite pad and try that. Then you would only be out about 25 bucks for new rings and cylinder base gasket. (quick,cheap repair?)
Old 01-06-2003, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I finally got the piston unstuck. Damage report. cylinder has scuff marks going down it kinda like smearing of paint. Piston on either side have scraped marks and ring was frozen to the side of the piston. I know nothing about cylinders would it be possible to smooth the cylinder down and buy a new piston and ring? does the piston actually make contact with the cylinder or is it just the ring that makes contact? the cylinder has to be flawless rite? are most cylinders plated? If the plating has come off when sanding does that affect the engines power? I guess you can call this type of lock up typical. No piston or ring parts have melted into the motor it was a quick lockup from the my employee said.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

like i said before - you can't go wrong with replacing the jug. otherwise follow my "cheap" solution above. i'm not saying it's right but it sounded like you wanted to get it going the cheapest way.

on paper the piston has a cushion of lubricant between it and the cylinder which has about .0005 and .0015 of an inch clearance. but in the real world the piston does make some contact. you can hone the scars down in the cylinder and file and polish the piston. and it "may" work.

Take the old ring and grind it in half. then take the one half and scrape the old ring groove open where it is tight to accept the new ring. the new ring need to float in the grove before you reinstall the piston.

you may get 2 years of service or 2 hours - that's the gamble.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Redmax guys came to see me today

I had a few problems with my EB 7000 (2). After putting them in the shop a couple of times, the Redmax team came to my job site to investigate the problem. They followed my crew and asked questions, and took plenty of notes. By the end of the day, I received a phone call thanking me for my time. They told me they wanted one of my blowers (quess for R&D), and they would give me a brand new one in its place. In a time of so much none customer service, it is so nice to have a company such as Redmax that stands behind thier product and care about the little man trying to make a honest living. As a result, I will stop price shopping hand held equipment, and go Redmax all the way. If any Redmax Guys are on this forum, thanks for doing the right thing. Shackleford Landscaping