Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-29-2010, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

hmmmmm i can be into a brand new (300hrs) 272c with vts for $39,000 So thats why that type of machine is having some pull with me.

i have also replaced 3 final drives on my ctl and knowing cat uses the same type of drives makes me concerned, going with a vts machine i dont have to worry about that as much.

salesman is supose to let me know the price on the 289c repo very soon.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso View Post

i have also replaced 3 final drives on my ctl and knowing cat uses the same type of drives makes me concerned, going with a vts machine i dont have to worry about that as much.

salesman is supose to let me know the price on the 289c repo very soon.
When we traded in the 287B for the 289C the final drive went out while I was mowing my property. I was only lacking about 2 hours to finish mowing. Then i was going to load it on the trailer and run it down Monday morning to swap it out for the new machine. Needless to say we had to delay the deal while my machinc installed a new used final.

Its funny how things always fall apart at the last minute
Old 01-29-2010, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i woulda just cleaned it up and sent it in to them!!! i have to install mine tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Picasso. I few quick facts of 289 verses 272c. The ctl requires alot more hyd power to move itself compared to the VTS. Most wheeled machine's are geared lower than a CTL stock. The VTS system lowers this ratio more and if the machine has XPS it is even lower. This really shows when working, if running a mulcher you can mulch on incline's without bleeding power from the head. You can boom, mulch and turn all without stalling or having to back off. And as you see the price is much better. Some regoins have better luck with VTS than others. I have both in the territory I cover. The VTS does have suspension in the front and from when I ran one I didn't remember it riding rough. Also the VTS extends out farther in front of the machinegiving it more stability.
Ideal mulcher from Cat. 272C with XPS and of course high flow. VTS system. Also if it can be ordered this way radial lift, no vertical crap. You get better visibility and single lift point. Louvered back door. Maybe a true forestry door like one Supertrak uses. And lastly a Denis Cimaf head!!
Old 01-29-2010, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCsouth View Post
Picasso. I few quick facts of 289 verses 272c. The ctl requires alot more hyd power to move itself compared to the VTS. Most wheeled machine's are geared lower than a CTL stock. The VTS system lowers this ratio more and if the machine has XPS it is even lower. This really shows when working, if running a mulcher you can mulch on incline's without bleeding power from the head. You can boom, mulch and turn all without stalling or having to back off. And as you see the price is much better. Some regoins have better luck with VTS than others. I have both in the territory I cover. The VTS does have suspension in the front and from when I ran one I didn't remember it riding rough. Also the VTS extends out farther in front of the machinegiving it more stability.
Ideal mulcher from Cat. 272C with XPS and of course high flow. VTS system. Also if it can be ordered this way radial lift, no vertical crap. You get better visibility and single lift point. Louvered back door. Maybe a true forestry door like one Supertrak uses. And lastly a Denis Cimaf head!!

Picasso, there is a set of near new looking VTS on IP in the daily auctions portion. don't know what they fit but the are long something like a 64 link set up which might fit a 272C. The VTS does not riide ruff. I get some vibration from the track design but they are not ruff riding I don't think. No one had bid on the VTS as of yesterday.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

could you post a link to them? i think i found them but im not sure. i dont venture onto iron planet much.

what do you guys think is going to push harder with more power to load the bucket a vts or a 289?

i know the vts will go through mud and slop better then the ctl so that helps me out alot.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
could you post a link to them? i think i found them but im not sure. i dont venture onto iron planet much.

what do you guys think is going to push harder with more power to load the bucket a vts or a 289?

i know the vts will go through mud and slop better then the ctl so that helps me out alot.

http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item...%26view%3Dnull

might be able to steal them. The guy shoulld have put in the ad what they fit. A quick call to Loegren with the serial number would confirm what they fit.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCsouth View Post
Picasso. I few quick facts of 289 verses 272c. The ctl requires alot more hyd power to move itself compared to the VTS. Most wheeled machine's are geared lower than a CTL The VTS system lowers this ratio more and if the machine has XPS it is even lower. This really shows when working, if running a mulcher you can mulch on incline's without bleeding power from the head. You can boom, mulch and turn all without stalling or having to back off. And as you see the price is much better. Some regoins have better luck with VTS than others. I have both in the territory I cover. The VTS does have suspension in the front and from when I ran one I didn't remember it riding rough. Also the VTS extends out farther in front of the machinegiving it more stability.

You cant order a 272 with a radial lift mechanism. The closest you could come would be a 256C. That machine is not suitable I don't think to run a Mulcher, especially if you hung another 3000 pounds of VTS off of it. The one I ran was pouch with a bucket.

I don't really believe this.

Most wheeled machine's are geared lower than a CTL

Reason is CTL's are slow then any equal wheeled machine.

Nor this:

The VTS system lowers this ratio more and if the machine has XPS it is even lower.

Now I believe that the VTS lowers the final drive ratio. I mean it drops the tops speed by 1 mph so I believe that, why the high flow system would effect the final drive ratio even more? That doesn't make sense to me.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item...%26view%3Dnull

might be able to steal them. The guy shoulld have put in the ad what they fit. A quick call to Loegren with the serial number would confirm what they fit.
i know where that set of tracks is.
they were new in the fall/winter of 2008 and were installed on a 272 Cat
Old 01-30-2010, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah that's the set I saw also what do you guys think is a good deal for them? I'm thinking less then five grand. How hard is it to get stuff from canada back to the states? Do I have to pay a tax to bring it in? I just can't decide between a 289 or a 272 with vts???
Posted via Mobile Device