Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-29-2007, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you have the STIHL SH85 or the vac attachment for the BG85. Is it of any use for light cleanup (e.g. leaves in flower beds, hedge clippings etc.) or is it a complete waste. Many of the Stihl dealers, here in Ontario, have a big sale on the BG85 and SH85 units. This leads me to think that they are trying to get rid of them and that perhaps, Stihl, is coming out with a 4 mix version of their handheld blower.

Can anyone compare the BG85 to the Echo version of it, the PB230LN?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a BG85 and I love it. I have used the leaf vac attachment before and its not entirely worthless, just close to it.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Do any of you have the STIHL SH85 or the vac attachment for the BG85. Is it of any use for light cleanup (e.g. leaves in flower beds, hedge clippings etc.) or is it a complete waste. Many of the Stihl dealers, here in Ontario, have a big sale on the BG85 and SH85 units. This leads me to think that they are trying to get rid of them and that perhaps, Stihl, is coming out with a 4 mix version of their handheld blower.

Can anyone compare the BG85 to the Echo version of it, the PB230LN?
It's virtually useless for cleanups. I have used mine to suck up some leaves, mainly out of window wells, and that's it. The other thing I'll use it for is after edging, to suck up the grass and dirt resulting from the edging. There just isn't much suction power.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 07-30-2007, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

With all Stihl equippment, the main key to easy starts is simply following the starting instructions in the manual to the letter.

If that doesn't work for you, consider the plug, plug gap and the mix.
If it's not those things, return it for adjustment so the starting proceedure will work.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 01-29-2010, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Mine starts up just fine when its cold outside. When i first got it, I took the limiter caps off so I could tune it properly as I broke it in. It always hot starts easy for me too.

Hardy h4
Personal Equipment
HomeLite C-51, McColluch 7-10A, McColluch Titan 620 , Johnsered 2149 , Pioneer 1100 holiday, Stihl FS120,Stihl BG85C
Work Equipment
GEHL 4840E with custom splitter, Homelite Super Wiz 80, Husky 55 Rancher 24'' bar, Husky 55 Rancher 20'' bar, Husky 340, Homelite EZ, Tanaka tbc-2211,2003 Lawnboy 10323 with duraforce.