Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec32 View Post
I was happy to see the new 36 and 40" models on the website. Unfortunately, it looks like I can't use this machine in 40" form.

Toro seems to have gone with the concept of retaining a large "trim edge", which is great for northern turf, but on low cut grasses like Bermuda and to a lesser degree Zoysia, with their growth habit that is part stem, part leafy top, much more than a couple inches of trim edge means gouges and visable lines in the turf that are unacceptable. Even tiny variations in the level of the cut show on this type of turf.

To get this trim edge it looks like they narrowed the stance of the front wheels, so just like the 48"/52" models it can't handle severe undulations on Bermuda. All they should have done (for we southerners) was to slap a 40" deck on the same frame setup as the 48", leaving it with minimal deck overhang. That way the lack of true floating deck and antiscalps would not have been a problem.

The 36" mostly avoids this problem, but the deck is then so narrow that the machine isn't of much use on wide open areas, making it less versatile. Also sometimes the longer aspects of a 36" two blade deck lead to more scalping over crests. And unfortunately at $6,000 plus, it's too expensive for use on a few gated backyards, something most will just keep an old cheap wb around for. For this type of investment, I'd want a more versatile machine that gets full-time use.

Note the popularity of Walker mowers on southern turf. Also note that their 42" deck is probably the most popular size. That is because the 42" deck closely matches the width of the front tires. So it contours perfectly. I see a lot of companies hauling out 36" wb's to mow lawns that a bigger mower, designed right, would handle. What a shame.

I guess this is what happens when mowers are designed up north in areas where they don't even have grass like ours.
Bruce32,

You indicated anything with more than a couple of inches of overhang creates issues. I think it might be worth at least seeing and perhaps demoing the 40" and 36" GrandStand before eliminating them from consideration. We won't debate with you the difficulties of mowing at 1.0" - 1.5" HOC, it's a challenge.

-The Toro Company
Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toro Company View Post
Mysteryman - Thanks for your inquiry. The 2010 GrandStand literature is on press right now and should be available to ship the middle of next week.

-The Toro Company

It's 20 days later my dealer still has no 2010 literature.
Doolittle 7x12 Trailor
Redmax EBZ 8001
Stihl FS90 R Trimmer
Stihl FS100 RX Trimmer
Stihl SH 86 Vac
Kawasaki KHT600D Hedge Trimmer
Magna Matic 9000 Blade Shapener
Magna Matic 1000 Blade Balancer
Old 01-29-2010, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

TORO-

A clarification request regarding the posted (Toro site) specifications for the GrandStand mowers. Under 'Adjustable Discharge Baffle' is it true that the compact models require tools? ...and under the 'Spindle Bearings' is it true that the compact models do not have greasable ball bearings? ... or are these typos?? Thank you.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post
TORO-

A clarification request regarding the posted (Toro site) specifications for the GrandStand mowers. Under 'Adjustable Discharge Baffle' is it true that the compact models require tools? ...and under the 'Spindle Bearings' is it true that the compact models do not have greasable ball bearings? ... or are these typos?? Thank you.
it does say just say ball bearings...

but i am correct in catching that you would want greasable ball bearings? i personally think the less maintenance that you need to do to a mower the better, so the less things to grease means less maintenance.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Greasable bearings last longer.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

lilweeds is correct. I learned that lesson having had non-greasable bearings on my truck's universal joints...they disintegrated, turned into a rusty powder. Lubrication is always a good thing, any metal-to-metal points of contact should be provided a bit of oil or other lubricant (synthetic) from time to time to prevent metal wear (and thus sloppiness of the movement). Other than attracting some dirt/dust, the lubricant is a good investment.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=brucec32;3362474]

Toro seems to have gone with the concept of retaining a large "trim edge", which is great for northern turf, but on low cut grasses like Bermuda and to a lesser degree Zoysia, with their growth habit that is part stem, part leafy top, much more than a couple inches of trim edge means gouges and visable lines in the turf that are unacceptable. Even tiny variations in the level of the cut show on this type of turf.

QUOTE]

Do all sizes of the Grandstand have this problem on Bermuda? With all the buzz my interest in this unit has peaked, but gouging and scalping are a big concern when looking for the right mower.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well let's put it this way on the 48" deck you can set the rear wheels to the outter setting which in turn will eliminate the trim edge. So no his concerns aren't justified with every mower. IMO the 52 doesn't really have enough of a trim edge, but it works for me because up here I general cut from 3-4 inches.

The 60 has anti scalp wheels and the Exmark has them as an option if you feel you need them.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

check out this YouTube Exmark vantage Maintenance clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sa2XHR-hxc

It states that the spindles are greaseless. This makes me wonder if the possible typo (see above post) regarding the listing of greasless for the compact models is maybe an error in that the full size frame models left off the word greaseless. I look forward to Toro's reply to my questions above.

Also, unrelated, has anybody noticed the ground speed control of the Exmark Vantage compared to that of the Toro GrandStand? The Toro uses a dash-mounted lever while the reference bar of the Exmark Vantage moves and locks into position tightening-up the amount of 'throw' of the two control levers. This can be seen in a different YouTube video on the Exmark Vantage.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post
TORO-

mysteryman -

The specs are correct. Due to the very compact nature of the 36" and 40" decks and how the decks mount to the GrandStand carrier frame, there isn't adequate room / space to use the cam lever adjustment featured on the larger decks. The baffle is still adjustable, but it is secured using hardware so a couple turns of a socket wrench is required.

Yes, we use sealed spindles on the smaller decks. The 36" and 40" TURBO FORCE decks are the same decks used on our mid-size walk-behinds. Those machines have featured sealed spindles for the past four years, and they have performed very well.

-The Toro Company