Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2010, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I have racked my brain with this over and over again and the conclusion I came to was it wasnt worth it to me to pay based on performance. In the end you will get sloppy work and unhappy customers. I would reccomend a pay raise and if that doesnt motivate them tell them to go get government jobs where they can be slow!
Old 01-31-2010, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Very difficult subject here. I am looking for a solution myself. Been contracting lawns for 7 years and tried everything. I did the per lawn payment system and I was getting complaints like crazy. The guys were flying through the lawns and leaving clumps everywhere, grass on sidewalks and mulch beds. Per hour basis and they dont get any done. Pay the main grass guy more and let him run the show. Eventually I would like to install cameras on the trucks.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Search Pro Cuts response to this a few months back.

basically tell your employees it has to get done in a certain amount of time, or you will find someone that will get it done.

end of discussion.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 01-31-2010, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwingfield2k View Post
Search Pro Cuts response to this a few months back.

basically tell your employees it has to get done in a certain amount of time, or you will find someone that will get it done.

end of discussion.
This would probably work well in the current economic conditions. However, I would say that you need to consider this: How much does it cost to rehire and train a new employee, once you find one that is up to your standards? If your guys know your route, and do decent work, first take a look at your business and make sure that you have dotted your i's and crossed your t's. That is, is your equipment up do date, and well maintained. Do you have your routes laid out perfect? Is your shop organized....no matter if it is a shed in your parent's back yard, or a full blow shop. You need to set the example first, then integrate your employees. If they aren't able to step it up, then you look elsewhere.

I also think that bonuses should be tied to profitability, if they are getting call backs, that hurts the bottom line. Again, if you are well organized, then you should know how much you are making before and after expenses, thus being able to calculate bonuses.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 01-31-2010, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Some of you guys really need to read up on labor laws. You cant have a guy run YOUR EQUIPMENT and still consider him a sub contractor, he is now an employee. There are certain laws to hiring, paying and keeping an EMPLOYEE. In a nutshell sub contracting means, he uses his/hers own equipment, and there is a ton more things that defines a sub vs. an actual employee. READ UP! Your taking a big risk.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 01-31-2010, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobagger View Post
Some of you guys really need to read up on labor laws. You cant have a guy run YOUR EQUIPMENT and still consider him a sub contractor, he is now an employee. There are certain laws to hiring, paying and keeping an EMPLOYEE. In a nutshell sub contracting means, he uses his/hers own equipment, and there is a ton more things that defines a sub vs. an actual employee. READ UP! Your taking a big risk.

you will have to agree it has been some interesting reading. WOW
Old 02-01-2010, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobagger View Post

I got this kind of response before when I suggested to someone to pay their guys like a subcontractor. I have found no laws stating that a subcontractor has to have their own equipment in my state. In fact the law spells it out for me that what makes them a sub is that they are supposed to give me an estimate for a certain amount of work and then whether or not they complete the work in the estimated time frame they still get payed per their estimate price. Kind of like a salaried employee, but I must have a proof of their insurance. Thats it. I guess not all states are the same in this aspect.
Thats how the law reads, thats what my lawyer told me, and my insurance agent (who is also my subs agent) said this is common and legal.
Perhaps you should create a "rental agreement" for your equipment and hire "subs"...

Bonuses are a great motivator, but you have to stick with the agreement. Sure none of us like to fork over chunks of money to someone for just doing a good job...I mean its not like we get to take money from them when things go wrong on a job. Paying by the job on everything is just stupid...
Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

gotta remember what the state says is one thing. how the feds see it could be different.

here is the IRS web site and what it thinks.
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=99921,00.html

here is My Op. Of course my opinion and $1 may still get you a candy bar...

A sub contractor is someone you hire to do a job. who generally provides his/her own tools, and is not directed on HOW to complete a task. The Sub contractor generally bid a job and is paid a final price based on the completion of the job. Ie you hire an electrician to wire up your shop.

an employee
An employee is generally subject to the businessís instructions about when, where, and how to work. All of the following are examples of types of instructions about how to do work.
When and where to do the work.
What tools or equipment to use.
What workers to hire or to assist with the work.
Where to purchase supplies and services.
What work must be performed by a specified individual.
What order or sequence to follow when performing the work.

the litmus test IMO is discipline. if you can discipline a person. then they are an employee... You generally cannot discipline a subcontractor.

take a look at the fed site it may change your mind...
Old 02-02-2010, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Very well put Marc. If I read correctly from the beginning of this post the goal is some growth of a one man operation. This can be a big step from my experiences. No matter how you pay or if you actually sub-contract when you hire someone else it is highly unlikely they will do the same or as good a job as you, especially in your eyes. If you can find someone who is trainable I found it best to hire them and work side by side for a couple seasons. The downfall here is you have to ad quite a few accounts by the time you add up all the costs of basically doubling your work crew. Even at $10 an hour you will have many other cost increases, such as workers comp. insurance. Plan, plan, plan and good luck to ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
gotta remember what the state says is one thing. how the feds see it could be different.

A sub contractor is someone you hire to do a job. who generally provides his/her own tools, and is not directed on HOW to complete a task. The Sub contractor generally bid a job and is paid a final price based on the completion of the job. Ie you hire an electrician to wire up your shop.

an employee
An employee is generally subject to the business’s instructions about when, where, and how to work. All of the following are examples of types of instructions about how to do work.

the litmus test IMO is discipline. if you can discipline a person. then they are an employee... You generally cannot discipline a subcontractor.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post

an employee
An employee is generally subject to the businessís instructions about when, where, and how to work. All of the following are examples of types of instructions about how to do work.

Have you ever wonderd why you waste your time trying to explain, there's no hope.

Tags
employment , pay , performance