Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Plants That Grow In Water for My Pond

I live in SW Arkansas and I built a pond in late 2006, I think by now the bottom has settled and it holds water real good. The only thing is it is void of any Plants that grow in water. I hoping to find a plant that would not only grow in the pond but help clean the water and possibly provide some oxygen.
Of course I would like to stay away from any plant that would be agressive and grow so fast that it would take over the ponds surface. The pond is small maybe 40' Dia. I was thinking of Lily Pads or Cat Tails or both but It would be nice to hear from some true pond builders or owners.

Mike
Old 03-17-2009, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm no expert on ponds, but this is what I've seen from others.

Don't do the cattails, they tend to take off and overrun shallow sections of ponds. I've heard nothing but bad things from pond owners when it comes to cattails.

Lily pads aren't too bad and can be controlled fairly easily.

How big is your pond? That makes a difference in plant selection.

Also, I don't know how well they do in your area, or if they are aggressive, but you might want to try some cannas.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Member

definetly stay away from cattails!!! Alittle more info on your pond, please.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would give your University of Arkansas extension agent a try so that you can get information relevant to your local area. Here is a link to their website with some info and some more links:

http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/landscaping/aquatic.htm
Old 03-18-2009, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have fish in your pond? How many and what kind? Many fish are vegetarian and will rapidly destroy some plantings. I agree with Venturewest, contact your county extension agent for their recommendations. For the lowest maintenance and best results, use plants that are native to your area.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for showing Interest in my post, my pond is 40 feet in diameter and 8 feet deep at one end, it has steep banks on three sides and slopes up to shallow water at one end. I have stocked it with local crawfish, frogs, minnows and I even put a few bluegill fish in there but the the fish died when a flood came and filled the pond with muddy water and I guess the fish suficated. I took my boat out today to a local pond that was 1/4 mile in diameter looking for water plants and thankfully didnt find any cattails, I didnt even see any water lilys. The only plants that where in the water had clover shaped leaves and looked like they where surviving/thriving very well, making there own islands in the middle of the pond. I dont think ? theses where the same plants I saw on TV that where over-running the waterways in our area and northern Louisiana..again ?. It looked like they could be easily harvested and transplanted to my pond.

Thanks everyone and Venturewest I will check-out that link

Mike
Old 06-02-2009, 04:00 AM
LawnSite Member

The cheapest thing in the world is advice on the internet... it is also the most expensive thing in the world when you have to fix what you were advised.

Water lilies will eventually choke your pond out. But don't take it from me because.... I am on the internet too!

You might be safe if you have soft water, but if your muddy water clears to even two feet of visibility your pond would choke with most of the submerged aquatic plants. The most likely rich sediment from that flood will ensure it.

There are few submerged plants that will stay short, unfortunately. .

Our only "product" is knowledge

Old 01-31-2010, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

oh, there are plenty of well behaved hardy waterlilies out there to be found, aquatic iris too. Aquatic plants come in all shapes sizes and growing habit

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/