Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

im thinkin about doing uniform service this year to, only thing i wonderin about is what if someone is not at the shop when they come to drop off/ pick up. were my shop is a couple other people use cintas there and while they always come on the same day the time is not always consistant, which i understand but does someone need to be there to meet them.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 01-26-2010, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Clark- I used to work for G&K, when I was taking a break from landscape work. The way we did it was that we had to get the invoice signed at each stop, unless the customer had a signature on file authorization, meaning we could dump and go. You really don't want to do it that way, though, because you're always going to have little issues like repairs, replacements, size changes, whatever. Yes, you can leave that written down for your uniform guy, but it doesn't always work out as well as you'd hope.

PM me if you have specific questions, I worked there way longer than I had planned to and sold a lot of programs.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When we had Cintas uniforms we loved them being clean all the time but we didn't like the lack of advertisement that the printed T-Shirts gave us.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use cintas. I have a 3 year agreement. I only pay for 33 weeks a year since I have a seasonal business. It equiates into one full year in regards to the cost of the uniforms. I pay half and the employee pays half. I have them wear pants and shirt. If they want shorts they have to pay for them and must purchase 5 of them. If they come into work with dirty shorts they will wear their pants that they keep at the shop. As far as employee's losing or not returning the uniforms--- I have them sign a contract that if anyting is damaged or not returned it will be duducted out of thier paycheck. It works well, and I dont have employee's looking like bums. some employees still complain that they dont like them compaired to t shirts, I say tough that is a condition of working for me. If they dont want to wear a uniform then they may not want to pull weeds at a property when you tell them to. YOu are thier boss not their freinds. Your route manager is the key if you have bad one your experince will be bad. I love uniforms I can get them really dirty and I dont have to wash them.
citas is pretty good imo.
hope this helps
Old 01-31-2010, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmatic View Post
I use cintas. I have a 3 year agreement. I only pay for 33 weeks a year since I have a seasonal business. It equiates into one full year in regards to the cost of the uniforms. I pay half and the employee pays half. I have them wear pants and shirt. If they want shorts they have to pay for them and must purchase 5 of them. If they come into work with dirty shorts they will wear their pants that they keep at the shop. As far as employee's losing or not returning the uniforms--- I have them sign a contract that if anyting is damaged or not returned it will be duducted out of thier paycheck. It works well, and I dont have employee's looking like bums. some employees still complain that they dont like them compaired to t shirts, I say tough that is a condition of working for me. If they dont want to wear a uniform then they may not want to pull weeds at a property when you tell them to. YOu are thier boss not their freinds. Your route manager is the key if you have bad one your experince will be bad. I love uniforms I can get them really dirty and I dont have to wash them.
citas is pretty good imo.
hope this helps
Yes, this helps, thank you....

I do have a question for you though.....You said you have a 3 year agreement with them but they only make you pay for 33 weeks because you are seasonal? So do you have to pay more? What is it that you get from them, for how many people and what is your cost if you don't mind me asking. You can PM me with this if it is personal. The reason I ask is because I just asked the rep that is coming out next Tue. to meet with me and he said seasonal business, they only charge you more to make up for the difference. Is this true in your case?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The total cost is $9.6 per employee. I pay half and the employee pays half so that comes to $4.80 per week It only runs for 33 weeks. Employee's that are fat cost more. I get 11 pairs of shirt/pant combos for each employee. I have a total of 5 uniforms 4 employees plus me = 5
Remember they are salesmen and they say anything to get your business. Play possium a little and you can get alot of concessions from them such as waving set up costs, contract lengths etc.
My contract if for 5 years but I told them that I may not have them for that long depending on business conditions. They told me to lock in at 3 years and if I need them in the last 2 years then so be it. But if I dont then I dont have to fill out the last 2 years of contract--- I put that in there incase I hated their service. Basicly I found that I had alot of power in dictating what I wanted ==its alot of horse trading so know what you want. This was my experince only
Old 02-01-2010, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmatic View Post
The total cost is $9.6 per employee. I pay half and the employee pays half so that comes to $4.80 per week It only runs for 33 weeks. Employee's that are fat cost more. I get 11 pairs of shirt/pant combos for each employee. I have a total of 5 uniforms 4 employees plus me = 5
Remember they are salesmen and they say anything to get your business. Play possium a little and you can get alot of concessions from them such as waving set up costs, contract lengths etc.
My contract if for 5 years but I told them that I may not have them for that long depending on business conditions. They told me to lock in at 3 years and if I need them in the last 2 years then so be it. But if I dont then I dont have to fill out the last 2 years of contract--- I put that in there incase I hated their service. Basicly I found that I had alot of power in dictating what I wanted ==its alot of horse trading so know what you want. This was my experince only
That's good to know, thank you....I will use that thought cause I would not really even be using them from Dec.-April. So maybe I can use that by telling them that for about five months they would not even be coming to pick up and wash...That's a lot of service that they are getting out of....

What do you think?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

again, I think it is what kind of deal you can strike with the salesman. Mine I think wanted to sell to boost his #'s so he worked with me.