Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2010, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeleafllc View Post
we ran cost between trucks that we had in our fleet already... and what it wouldcost to put another into service.. ford f350 drw with 18ft ope trailers with all the gear(trim racks etc) the cost diff was almost 20k off from new ford and trailer to new npr...
yes the diff is the npr is not being used in the winter but i couldnt come upwith anymore good plowing accounts.. so i run 12 trucks in the winter i have enough troubles without adding another.. so that was another benefit... the npr actually sits at a winter account with all the side walk stuff in it(blowers,bagged product)
it works well for some i guess
Allen
Thanks Allen....
I'm sorry, but let me see if I read this right. Your saying that that npr truck would cost around 20k more than the ford rig?
I don't plow snow (yet), dont know if I would or not, just not much snow here anymore, well not enough to buy a new truck for plowing anyway.I guess your right thow, it really depends on what the buyer needs.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We bought an old one and put the dovetail on it to try for a year and see how it worked. Well it worked great and now will be purchasing another one.
As for insurance it is actually more because of weight ratings. But you dont have a trailer to insure and so on.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

We have three isuzu's and are in the process of purchasing our fourth. We have done it both ways and I can tell you there is no comparison to a box truck. The time alone saved unloading and loading will come close to paying for the truck. They are very easy to drive and you are noticed everywhere! The fact of having a mobile billboard and shop all in one should be enough to sell you on the truck. I do feel they separate you from allot of the smaller guys. We like them so mu ch we are going to start phasing them into are a installation line as well.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Thanks Allen....
I'm sorry, but let me see if I read this right. Your saying that that npr truck would cost around 20k more than the ford rig?
I don't plow snow (yet), dont know if I would or not, just not much snow here anymore, well not enough to buy a new truck for plowing anyway.I guess your right thow, it really depends on what the buyer needs.
nope its the other way around....
Old 02-01-2010, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeleafllc View Post
nope its the other way around....
Thats what I was hoping you ment...Cause I am wanting to buy one after I get my other truck paid off in about a year...

That's what I been telling myself, by the time I bought a new F250 or 350 and a new trailer I could just go ahead and get the box. I really like having a rolling billboard.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

yah its a big billboard ill try to get some pics of it all done up..
We usually buy f350 drw with dumping flat beds and 18' anderson landscape trailers. the last one we bought was in 07 and ill never buy another for cutting..
i really wanna get another box truck for a hardscape crew i think it would be so much easier to work out of instead of a utility body..
Old 02-01-2010, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Someone had a fuso with a box on it in the classifieds on this site just recently. Don,t be scared if the isuzus or fuso have around a 150,000 miles on them. With proper maintenance you can get alot of miles out of these trucks. We only average around 12-15,000 a year on ours. You can buy one with alot miles on it, if it has been maintained, and get several years out of one.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wonder how much you have to have down when buying a new one..
Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldnt be turned off buy one if it had over 150k miles,ours have around 160k on them and they go everyday and never let us down..

Allen
Old 02-01-2010, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been running a ford lcf since the begin of 08 with a 16 ft box. And i love it wouldn't go back to a truck & trailer for just mowing at all. It saves us about 1 hour per day because we don't have to load & unload equipment. All of our stuff is out of the weather is it look better. Plus we have had no equipment stolen sents we switched. The only bad thing is filling up mowers at the gas stations. I'am working on installing a fuel tank under the body.