Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2010, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

hey knowledgable computer guys

does outlook express come with office. I've got to get office and need outlook as well?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No it doesn't. Outlook Express use to be part of Internet Explorer up until version 6. It is now known as Windows Live Mail and is part of Windows Live Essentials. Go to the Microsoft web site and search for Windows Live Essentials to find, download, and install it.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

he's talking about 2 diffrent readers.

1st he says outlook express. then he says he needs outlook...
Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not quite the same question, but related, ...

I have Windows XP Home. It is about 4 years old. It came with Outlook Express, and I have used OE for e-mail addresses. I had no reason to buy MS Office. One piece of Office is Outlook.

Now, I've bought an iTouch, and find that it syncs up contact and calender information from Outlook. Since Outlook Express supports only e-mail, not other data (e.g. address, phone), nor does it support any calender information, I don't have any easy way of making my PC and iTouch compatible for contact and calendering. In a round-about way, I can use Google gmail as a source of contact information, but Google calender does not synch up with the iTouch. I have found an app for task management, as an addition.

I agree with what was posted above, OE is part of history.

But, my question is a little different: Can I buy Outlook separately? I think not. Is anybody running Outlook as a stand alone, or is everybody running as part of Office?

I may move to a new PC, with Windows 7. Does it have all the pieces for calender and contact that will synch up with my iTouch? Anybody doing this?

I'm learning that my iTouch is a great entertainment tool, but is sorely lacking functions to support a business. I'm disappointed, an am at a crossroads -- keep my business information on my old Palm (contact, calender, task management) is so simple on the Palm Pilot. I bought the iTouch as a replacement, but may not work. No way am I going to enter all the information on the touch screen of the iTouch. I am already old and grey and that task would hasten the age and hair color.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I'm learning that my iTouch is a great entertainment tool, but is sorely lacking functions to support a business. I'm disappointed, an am at a crossroads -- keep my business information on my old Palm (contact, calender, task management) is so simple on the Palm Pilot. I bought the iTouch as a replacement, but may not work. No way am I going to enter all the information on the touch screen of the iTouch. I am already old and grey and that task would hasten the age and hair color.
Why are you blaming Apple for Microsoft's lack of a Calendar and Contacts in Outlook Express?

How do you syncing your data on the Palm Pilot with your PC?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Outlook can sync with my blackberry.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeandia View Post
Why are you blaming Apple for Microsoft's lack of a Calendar and Contacts in Outlook Express?

How do you syncing your data on the Palm Pilot with your PC?
Sorry, I perhaps didn't state the problem correctly. MS isn't the problem, Apple is the problem.

Your second question is a good one, something I should have stated in my earlier post. And, it gets to the heart of the problem.

The Palm Pilot comes with a CD, loading software on my PC. It is that software that synchs with the mobile device. The interface in the PC portion is similar to that of the mobile device. This makes it easy to use the PC to input contact information, calendaring, task management, etc, then synch to the mobile device.

I supposed, and wrongly so, that iTouch would work in a similar way. No software comes with the Apple product that mounts to the PC. iTunes is downloaded, and does many functions. But, having some screens that fit up with the contact manager, calender, is not part of iTunes. iTunes primarily manages audio, video content, and photos. It tracks apps, but does not manage them in the sense of being able to interact with them.

Palm also provides a simple task manager as part of the standard functions. iTouch has nothing. But, I did find some apps (for a fee) that can be downloaded and will do the task. But, again, these apps do not interact with the PC -- all the information must be entered on the mobile device, nothing can be done on the PC (at least as I understand). I used the Palm task manager to do all my business scheduling, and it works great.

Apple does provide an option on the contact piece to use Google gmail for contacts. In my first synch, it downloaded my Outlook Express address book into the contact list. That was not what I was expecting. This is not the information I wanted in the contact list. After some looking, I found an option, and I can exclude that list, and instead hook up with gmail contacts. But, this means I need to establish a gmail account, solely for the purpose of maintaining contacts. It is certainly better than entering all the contact information into the mobile device.

Despite Google having a Calender as part of their gmail, Reader, picasa, etc offerings, Apple does not provide a choice to hook up with Google calender. It appears the Apple mobile device does not interact with ANY calender. I stopped at the local Apple store on Sunday and asked the question, and they confirmed iTouch does not accept any other Calender.

It just looks like Apple decided to piggy-back on some other available software to support what they could. It is far from the concise, and complete, approach that Palm took in this regard.

This is why I'm concluding the iTouch is a great entertainment device, and good wi-fi device for limited web work, but as a business tool, it looks to be a failure. I think it was designed with an audience with different needs. I do read may posts on LS speaking highly of their iPhone, and use of many apps, but very little detail is given on the apps, and the business functions they perform. No, ... games are of no interest to me. Sorry to be a fuddy-duddy in that regard. Managing podcasts works great, much better than my previous mp3 player.