Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-16-2008, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bagging sucks but a lot of times, it's faster than running back and forth to the landfill. Funny around here many LCOs bag leaves, but seems like this is not the norm in a lot of areas. Pretty much you either have a leaf loader, or you bag.

I can see where with this situation the ol' bagging might be the best option considering the very short notice you got about the job.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We are done with December and the 08 leaf clean up. Its been a real learning experience. I think I made the right choices. I'm glad at this point I'm not sitting here in Jan
with a 4k piece of equipment not being used.

Bagging; first of all being able to leave the bags at the curb kinda seals the deal. If I had to haul it off everything would change.
Having established that...
There are a few essentials regarding bagging once the leaves are in a big pile.

We used the 55 gal container liners. We tried one box of the 45 gal but they aren't nearly as easy to work with.

Bagging is hard work and the person doing the bagging is leaning over half the time. A beer belly is pretty much an obsticle. Filling a bag is a two man job. You need another guy on a rake that will keep a constant supply of leaves within reach of the bagger. Very important that for every arm full of leaves he pushes in, the person with a rake or snow shovel re-supplies him for the next grab.

When its full you can stand it up and compress it some. You'd be surprized at how much more can be put in the bags once it stands up. The bagger holds it open and the other guy uses a snow shovel to top it off. When its full the rake guys gets another bag ready as the bagger ties it off. Keepin your boot in their azz helps too.

A giant pile of leaves with 4 guys can be done in less than 20 mins.

The blowers and the guys doing the blowing is very important as well. I can't get anyone even a decent blower to understand what is very obvious to me and this is one thing still has me very frustrated. Two people blowing as a team is so much more productive than the same two blowing separately. Think about it, the velocity and the volume of air with two blowers combined is signficantly higher than anyone blower. Not only that but as one person breaks up and lifts the leaves, the other blower provides a wind direction if you will. I explained this 100 times only to look up later and all four blowers are on their own again. I wanted to fire everyone of them but instead I settled on the dependabilty factor.

In the case of this kind of neighborhood a five person team turned out to be the best. 4 blowers and 1 person getting the leaves into piles.

I mentioned early that I didnt think a walk behind blower would be ideal. I'm going take that back. I've never used one but from what I hear they are very powerfull and I now think that with two backpacks on each side of the street and one WB in the middle would be the best.

Instead I used my tractor to plow along with four blowers. The Redmax 8001 are so freakin awsome. I now have two of those and two echo 615s.

We had many residents tell us how happy they were and that we did a much better job than anyone previously. Some of these people have lived there 20 years.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2009, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnTX View Post
The blowers and the guys doing the blowing is very important as well. I can't get anyone even a decent blower to understand what is very obvious to me and this is one thing still has me very frustrated. Two people blowing as a team is so much more productive than the same two blowing separately. Think about it, the velocity and the volume of air with two blowers combined is signficantly higher than anyone blower. Not only that but as one person breaks up and lifts the leaves, the other blower provides a wind direction if you will. I explained this 100 times only to look up later and all four blowers are on their own again. I wanted to fire everyone of them but instead I settled on the dependabilty factor.

We had many residents tell us how happy they were and that we did a much better job than anyone previously. Some of these people have lived there 20 years.
That's awesome. Congratulations on doing a great job making the customers happy.

I'm so glad you made a point about guys teaming up with the blowers. I thought I was the only person that wanted it done like this. I told my guys that I was going to put shock collars on them so they get zapped when they wander away with the blower. I also told them they have to hold hands. lol It drives me crazy. It's such an easy concept.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-04-2009, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

congrats life is about learning as long as you get paid and they were happy sounds like everybody wins.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
let me guess you are going to put them into your 7x14 single axle trailer behind the ranger?
LMAO I was thinking at least a 1/2 ton. I guess I cant say anything, I have no idea if leaves in Texas ever fall. IF they do in fact fall, a couple of yards those sizes could build up quite a leaf pile. Good luck with this cluster!

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 01-11-2009, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Congratulations on the bid and Good luck.

It sounds like you will do just fine.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

if you didn't have a plan on how to do the job why bid on it? looks really easy to do...me what i would do is blow them to the curb and then suck them up with my leaf loader....do you even have a leaf blower?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosarioslawncutters View Post
if you didn't have a plan on how to do the job why bid on it? looks really easy to do...me what i would do is blow them to the curb and then suck them up with my leaf loader....do you even have a leaf blower?
WOW old thread to pull, and did you read it all. He did very well, and you can plan all you want then the crap gets thrown at you (as in old guy bailed you new have to cover his butt, as in NOW not later).

But now it your thread has been resurrected, how'd this year go I am wondering?