Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2010, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara Falls View Post
It appears that although the bylaw concerning pools is 18" depth, ponds and waterfalls come into a grey area, meaning that a ruling is made depending on location, ability of public access and I am thinking how much "palm grease" is required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Ponds and Waterfalls View Post
All our ponds are for residential homes and the depth is usually 2ft unless it is designed for more depth than we will only build in a fenced backyard. If a fence is not an option I will talk to the city and a lawyer to determine what is the best option. The problem most cities/counties don't have a clue where to look for this question.
do either of you plumb any of you ponds in compliance with vgb?

the equalized suction for anti-entrapment is so cheap and easy i will never not utilize it, covers my butt if the worst should ever happen and it's a good sales pitch.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
do either of you plumb any of you ponds in compliance with vgb?

the equalized suction for anti-entrapment is so cheap and easy i will never not utilize it, covers my butt if the worst should ever happen and it's a good sales pitch.
I'm not familiar with it. I only use submersable pumps, but I'd like some details. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Ponds and Waterfalls View Post
I'm not familiar with it. I only use submersable pumps, but I'd like some details. Thanks!
www.poolsaftey.gov

this link has some new 2010 info.

the vgb requires all suction be dual orficed with the openings being spaced no closer than 4' cntr-cntr.

it has regs that are pool specific but that could also be open for inerpitation and that's why i was asking, i know that i'm going to approach the ippca with this question as it seems that bottom suction is becomming popular
Old 02-09-2010, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim, check your spelling on that link. The VGB statute relates to child safety in swimming pools. It is not applicable to ponds. The Enviros have not got that far with fish safety!!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Geesh, all the terminology you guys use just floors me. What is VGB, spillways, rolled liner edges, etc., etc., etc.

Is there somewhere to find a glossary of all this terminology?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara Falls View Post
Geesh, all the terminology you guys use just floors me. What is VGB, spillways, rolled liner edges, etc., etc., etc.

Is there somewhere to find a glossary of all this terminology?
Aquascapes Inc's "Contractor's Pond Builder's Bible". You can find at amazon.com for about $90 bucks. It will answer almost all your questions.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Jim, check your spelling on that link. The VGB statute relates to child safety in swimming pools. It is not applicable to ponds. The Enviros have not got that far with fish safety!!
tadpole my newfound friend, girlfriends and fish are both in the catch and release category, and if you kill either one of them out of season you're in trouble.

the vgb law would come into effect if water fall or feature has suction from and return to the pool or pond, i'm reading some threads about ponds that have bottom drains and using centrifugal pumps in place of submersible pumps.

where i'm located water falls / features are about 50/50 centrifugal and submersible

jim

Last edited by 1idejim; 02-09-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I reread everything I could find on the VGB statute and could find no mention of ponds. I think what you are referring to is a waterfall on a swimming pool. The law would apply in this case. It would not apply to a pondless waterfall or a fish pond with a waterfall as neither one is for human use. Interestingly, the bottom drains that are available for ponds are much safer than the drains for swimming pools. They are designed to protect fish from suction. If they will protect something as small as a fish, they certainly would protect a child.

As to the choice of a bottom drain or no depends on whether you are from the gravel bottom school or not. A skimmer can be utilized with a submersible and (with a little modification) a centrifugal. The question as relates to this thread is what is easier for the gentleman (Niagara Falls) who started this thread and has identified himself as a DIY.