Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2000, 08:55 AM

Nothing wrong with buying used older equipment if:<br>1) you are mechanically inclined and can make major repairs yourself if needed<br>2) have backup equipment to use while repairing<br>3) can get parts easily and quickly for the machines<br>4) keep the equipment nice looking. Clean and painted
Old 07-22-2000, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good point Charles!! I see a lot of people being bashed around here for using older equipment. BIG DEAL!!! If it runs, use it. Keep it in good shape and you should be able to get some years out of it, why not? It is always nice to have the newest shinest equipment on the block........but don't be decieved...a lot of the older machines are BETTER built and MORE reliable then the new ones are, and they're much easier to work on and maintain. As long as you don't find yourself dumping outragous amounts of money into it, you should keep it looking good, and run it until its not profitable anymore.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 07-22-2000, 10:21 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
99% of all accounts (resi. & commercial) don't give a rat's arse what your mower looks like. They don't have a trained eye and they have no interest in your stinky equipment.<p>All consumers buy lawn care (full service)in this order:<p>1. Price<br>2. Reliability<br>3. Performance<p>
Old 07-22-2000, 10:34 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with Stone. Until last month when I got my new DC, my newest mower was 6 years old and my oldest is 10. If I asked a customer which one is my new mower, they probably wouldn't know or care. I keep them in good shape and a little paint sure helps too. I know some of you have seen the picture of my oldest one on my equipment page, which is the JD. That picture was taken last fall and it doesn't look 10 years old. Most people just care that your dependable and the lawns look good. I think the new part is more for the guy running them. We still use the 6 year old mower every day too.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://elmlawnsite.com/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 07-22-2000, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Used equipment is more expensive to run unless you're personally working on a crew or work by yourself.<p>
Old 07-22-2000, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have brought it home and USED it once it is USED. All equipment is used. The condition of the equipment, how reliable it is, what it will cost to maintain it depends on;<br>1. Original Design<br>2. How it is treated while in use.<br>3. How it is maintained.<br>Age is very near irrelevant if preventive maintenance is practiced.<p> Next time you fly a commercial airline ask how old the plane is. It is a good bet that it is over 20 years old. The best car I ever owned I bought with 100,000 miles. At 225,000 I took the engine out and put the head in another car. (The body was shot, the car still ran great.) I never spent as much in any two month period as a car payment on a new car.<p> I go to old engine shows where people have restored 50 to 100 year old engines. They start and run perfectly and they are used. I personally show a 1926 Kohler, Runs great. So dose the 1948 but that is only 50.<p> As far as trucks for work, I would bet two old trucks (One 5 years old in good shape and one 15 years old in good shape, together costing ½ the price of a new truck against a new one for reliability any time. Not a fair bet, two vehicles against one. Why not if they cost less