Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-12-2010, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look at this .http://troybiltparts.arinet.com/Scri...&ilIF=P&ilRE=8.
I didn't see a gearbox but note the assembly drawn in dotted lines. looks like a hanger for the pto shaft with a bearing in each side of it. maybe that is what you are calling the gearbox and it could have a bad bearing in it. Just my half-fast opinion....
Old 02-12-2010, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry for not being specific enough. The gear box is mounted on the mower deck. It's not part of the PTO on the tractor. I see what you're saying though about that bearing where the PTO shaft runs through the bolster. I'll try to get it started and let the PTO fail this weekend and do a thorough inspection of all the components on the front end to see if anything seems like it's binding. I'll also try to post some pics (if possible on this forum) to give people a better idea of what I'm looking at.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok. I figured the gearbox was probably on the deck. Strange they don't have a schematic of the deck, huh ? I could not tell from the illustration if there were any zerks in that bolster. Probably sealed bearings. If you can disconnect the drive-line from the input side of the gearbox then you could quickly narrow the problem down if it persists. Just my half-fast opinion.....
Old 02-12-2010, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you have access to an AMP meter you can check the draw on the clutch but I currently don't have access to the maximum draw. You could certainly call MTD's tech line to find out.

I may be mistaken, but I don't recall seeing an Ogura clutch with provision for air gap adjustment. If the clutch is getting excessively hot you may have a combination of things going on--excessive air gap as well as clutch bearings that may be getting dry, particularly since you indicate that deck spindles and idlers appear to be free.

Dutch

Tags
clutch , coil , electric , pto , troy-bilt