Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 02-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Moto52 Moto52 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker51 View Post
That is my typical arguement, as mentioned above. I'm a Ford guy, but the 6.0 just scares me, I'm needing to get another truck, and there is an 06 with 25k miles at a dealership in town I would love to have. But as far as doing any tuning to them......I've always been told by a few guys that work on them, to keep em stock and service them regular if you want them to last...so until there is a compelling arguement the other way, 7.3's seem pretty good to me. Good tuning, upgraded hpop, injectors, turbo, you've got a truck capable a whole lot for not much money if you get the truck itself bought right.
I'm a ford guy and I would NEVER buy a 6.0... alot more problems i've seen with those motors then any other motor i've ever heard of, there is a big reason ford is sueing international over that motor.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-15-2010, 05:13 PM
unkownfl's Avatar
unkownfl unkownfl is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orlando/Windermere
Posts: 3,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto52 View Post
have you driven a 7.3 with a DP tuner? if not you have no idea what your talking about a stock 6.0 is like 3 truck lengths behind me at 90mph
What are you racing a mile. 90mph is a low 15 second pass now your telling me your truck goes 15's with a tuner cai and exhaust.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Moto52 Moto52 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
What are you racing a mile. 90mph is a low 15 second pass now your telling me your truck goes 15's with a tuner cai and exhaust.
i've never had my truck at the track before but i'm sure it could run into the high 15s . my buddys chevy did 16.1 and i can beat his truck.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Turf Commando's Avatar
Turf Commando Turf Commando is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Makes me wonder
Posts: 1,178
7.3 Liter Diesel was the greatest motor Ford ever made ....
The D-max is nice, huge improvement from previous Chevy diesels ...
__________________


Michigan has two seasons, winter and road construction.....!!!

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. Ecclesiastes 9:10
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-16-2010, 02:56 PM
tony58 tony58 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Middle Tenn.
Posts: 82
7.3 Great Engine

I've got a 96 with 318k on the odometer.I had a sorry ass cummins it like to broke me.I had 77k and it went thru two lift and injector pumps @ $2400.00 each time.Dodge or cummins would not stand behind the piece of JUNK.7.3 all the way!!!
Thanks,
tony
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-16-2010, 04:04 PM
mowerbrad's Avatar
mowerbrad mowerbrad is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan
Posts: 6,269
It seems like the 7.3 will be the way to go. I already knew I wasn't going to get a dodge as their trannies suck. The d-max engines are nice, but the ones in my price range have the injector issues and they are really expensive to fix. But the 7.3's seem to be an engine that has good longevity (sp?) and seems to be a little cheaper to fix than the dmax's, more like the price of my 6.5. So, I think I am pretty set on 7.3 for my next truck, I've got a friend that has a 7.3 but I haven't really asked him all about it but I know he likes it. Guess I'll have to talk to him about it a little more.
__________________
'07 Chevy 2500HD
2010 John Deere Z925A 54" MOD
2011 John Deere Quik Trak 647A
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Gravel Rat Gravel Rat is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 9,544
My brother tells me now his transmission is going I'am pretty sure its the second transmission truck has around 140,000 miles he had the lift pump replaced the Dodge dealer charged him over 300 dollars for the part. Injection pump needs replacing. Now he is looking at 4 grand in repairs for his Dodge and he can't afford it.

One thing you are going to notice going from a Chev to a Ford the ride is going to be a little rougher and if your going with a 4x4 Ford better buy a step stool to get in and out of the truck
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-16-2010, 09:24 PM
farmboy1285's Avatar
farmboy1285 farmboy1285 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburg Kansas
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
It seems like the 7.3 will be the way to go. I already knew I wasn't going to get a dodge as their trannies suck. The d-max engines are nice, but the ones in my price range have the injector issues and they are really expensive to fix. But the 7.3's seem to be an engine that has good longevity (sp?) and seems to be a little cheaper to fix than the dmax's, more like the price of my 6.5. So, I think I am pretty set on 7.3 for my next truck, I've got a friend that has a 7.3 but I haven't really asked him all about it but I know he likes it. Guess I'll have to talk to him about it a little more.
How come your wanting out of your 6.5L, besides it being a chevy lol.
__________________
Freshman at Pittsburg State University

Encore Walkbehinds, Great Dane Surfer
Stihl Trimmers, Blower, Chainsaws
98 Toyota 4-runner
85 Ford F350 Diesel, 10'x 7.5' Dump Bed
94 Bobcat 7753

Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-16-2010, 09:31 PM
mowerbrad's Avatar
mowerbrad mowerbrad is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan
Posts: 6,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy1285 View Post
How come your wanting out of your 6.5L, besides it being a chevy lol.
My truck is only a single cab and that is becoming really small. I'm really in need of an ext cab, it would make life a whole lot easier on me. I really want to be able to store more things inside my truck when I need to. When I have my fire gear in my truck now, it makes it a 1 person cab unless I throw the gear in back. I really just need the extra inside storage space.
__________________
'07 Chevy 2500HD
2010 John Deere Z925A 54" MOD
2011 John Deere Quik Trak 647A
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-16-2010, 09:43 PM
farmboy1285's Avatar
farmboy1285 farmboy1285 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburg Kansas
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
My truck is only a single cab and that is becoming really small. I'm really in need of an ext cab, it would make life a whole lot easier on me. I really want to be able to store more things inside my truck when I need to. When I have my fire gear in my truck now, it makes it a 1 person cab unless I throw the gear in back. I really just need the extra inside storage space.
Makes sence, I guess you could get a locking tool box for the bed for you gear and other stuff but still Im sure the extra space would be nice. Plus you gotta be careful with the gear to I new a guy that had his stolen out of his truck one night, the department wasn't to happy.
__________________
Freshman at Pittsburg State University

Encore Walkbehinds, Great Dane Surfer
Stihl Trimmers, Blower, Chainsaws
98 Toyota 4-runner
85 Ford F350 Diesel, 10'x 7.5' Dump Bed
94 Bobcat 7753

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 PM.

Page generated in 0.10530 seconds with 9 queries