Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: which mower do you think is better?
Toro. 73 14.54%
Exmark. 165 32.87%
Scag. 123 24.50%
Hustler. 63 12.55%
Other, and mention in thread!!! 78 15.54%
Voters: 502. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2009, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I need to buy a mower tomorrow or within the next week. I heard that the Scag went away from their cast deck and went to steel. I heard the Walker still uses a cast deck. Any feedback on this issue? From what I have gathered the cast deck is the best and strongest!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Joes Lawn Service View Post
John Deere!!!!!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

other thread pretty similar:

Quote:
Originally Posted by demhustler View Post
of 60'': scag, Exmarks25m28hp, Grasshopper(front)watercool 21cc pumps, toro diesel, hustlers

Scag 1997/1998 - was worst mower ever - handling not that good and been in the shop more then on the field (but mey be they got better since 2000)

toro diesel - ok, small annoying hydraulic problems, exmark most tuff built, hustlers
(superz) fast, sweet and falling apart : )))) - dem lambo (love/hate)

would recommend : exmark (4 everybody) & hustler (4 yourself)
Old 09-27-2009, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

speed & quality of cut: cut on 15 mph same as cut on 12 mph (or 10 mph on this matter) - all depends on grass/surface conditions (10, 15 - same thing - you have to slow down when you have to)

speed itself - 15mph and 10mph difference can be compared as difference between very old rider or walkbehind w.sulky (8mph) and exmark 12mph
see 4 yourself

in my experience - basically all new mowers with newer deck design accommodating their speed are making good cut - again all depends on ground conditions - slow down if necessary

btw. since manufacturers use same engines, pumps, wheelmotors - mowers of same characteristics pretty close too - major difference makes service - how long it would take to get/replace part (how long it would be out of field )

p.s. Ferris with suspension should be good - but just 12mph...- with IS they could be not that slow... : )))

Last edited by demhustler; 09-27-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernDelight View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmzlawncare

I don't know how high they were cutting but we never take any more then 3/4 " off of a lawn unless it was a new job that we have not cut yet.
And as far as cut and speed our Dixies can run 15mph and lay down a nice cut. As far as blade speed we run 4000 rpm engine speed so I know the dixie has a high blade speed. And as far as the scag goes a good friend of mine has a lawn care company and we help each other out and the scag has a great cut also and it will run 12mph. I think these are both great mowers.

Engine RPM has nothing to do with blade speed. Pully size is the big factor. Increase pully size, increase blade speed exponentially. However, larger pullies mean you need more power to spin them.
stock -3600; blades rpm & tip fpm speed increased accordingly, 11%

KM, how it's goes ok? 10-15% -pretty much safe? (...if anything goes wrong - they'll blame You)
Old 10-11-2009, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Walker hands down and my closest parts dealer is 60 miles away and sucks as* but walker units sell theirselves i own 8 .

i read they are good on manicured turf which is the manufacturing companys idea too but i promise they hold up just fine making a 2 week cut with heavy fertilize and a week of rain i have seen the guys pull 32 dumps per acre off lawns and you guy know what..... they still looked perfect .
this post isnt one sided i own 72" ferris 5000z 60" gravley's 50" cub cadet ztr and seveal walks ,pushmowers and yes even a 30" ztr unit
Old 02-16-2010, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

dang alot of you all like exmark. i prefer SCAG all the way. the spindles suck on exmark, the decks are thin, just my opion especially the walk behinds.