Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i can think of one way it will help me and hurt the state. thats all im gona say.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
i can think of one way it will help me and hurt the state. thats all im gona say.
Whats that switch to non taxable service?

PS why the screen name change?

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
On the landscape side WI doesn't tax Decks, patios, Retaining/decortive walls, or fencing. So those are safe to. See Pub 210 http://www.revenue.wi.gov/pubs/pb210.pdf
Ok, you got me there I dont do too much on the landscape side, i forgot that there are a few things that dont get tax'd

05 dodge ram 3500 stacked
12' open trailer
20' dump trailer
12' enclosed trailer
Sthil trimmers,blowers,chain saws,pole saws
01/06 honda atv w/ plow and spray tank
Deere Z840A
48" scag Pro-V w/ bagger
09 Deere 328 Loader
2 o4 2500HD ext cab's
01 chevy 1500
Billy Goat truck loader
1500 gal tank w/ 2.5" fire line and garden hose's
Iron Oak log splitter
www.pfd-llc.com
http://www.queensboro.com/ref/EOSRRCOEBMN where we get our uniforms.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Whats that switch to non taxable service?

PS why the screen name change?
switch to non taxable payment options
Old 02-17-2010, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't even believe this is being revisited. You guys are exactly on to something that had been discussed HEAVILY with our state reps. The people that will REALLY benefit off this is the guys that are doing this illegitimately - the ones operating "under the radar". Many clients will go for the cheaper price - MUCH cheaper price - leaving all us taxpaying businesses holding an empty bag. Well,...guess what...with a decline in business, so will there be a decline in the amount of state income tax we will be paying. THEN let's see how much overall tax revenue will be going to the state. We marched on our state capitol in 2008, and we were effective....they saw the light. we divided into groups and went into the offices of our state reps and they listened with open ears. the idea behind this rally was to put faces behind the term "landscape industry".
She should have gotten the message then....but now, as she's on her way out,...perhaps it's just that she does not care. Tell a person once, and shed some light on that which they do not know or realize, - we can call that innocent ignorance. But to have to tell someone twice - after they KNOW the facts and the results it could have? that is shear stupidity.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I feel you pain! We (or should I say "some" of us ) have been collecting sales tax on our services here in Texas for a long time. It's a pain but we deal with it.

btw....Have fun bidding with joe blows lawn care from down the street who is not forced to charge it.....
Old 02-20-2010, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

5.5%, must be nice. Ontario sales tax is 8%, and depending on the product/supplier it can be as high as 13%. I'd LOVE to pay only 5.5%! Damn.

Mind you, the same thing goes for fuel, you guys are paying $2.75/gal, but the Canadian equivalent is close to $4.00 for a US gallon. All lawn services in Canada are charged GST, the federal sales tax (5% at the moment), but provincial sales tax is only added for some services (8%) and isn't used often. This July, everything will be 13%. Lucky us.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haggerty View Post
Ohio has sales tax on mowing service, and I like it. Because anyone who is going to deduct the expense of mowing has to have a service provider that collects and pays in sales tax. Otherwise they'll be flagged for an audit.
It's better than a license to keep out the fly-by-night operators.

It ain't like it's a tax on ME. I just collect it and pay it in to the state.

Sure it's a big PITA to operate a business. (OK, pain for my wife) With all the taxes, insurances, license etc.

More and more, the computer bases are linked. Workers Comp, IRS, Pesticide license, and insurance. And those figures had better match.
Without taxes it's all kind of toothless, and lets a lot of guys fly under the radar. Not so when you involve the IRS. "They don't mess with the IRS".

So if you're having problems with illegal labor, unlicensed competition and the like you can learn to appreciate a sales tax.
I guess if the fly by nighter has commercial properties. I don't see home owners deducting. JMO
Old 03-16-2010, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocker View Post
I guess if the fly by nighter has commercial properties. I don't see home owners deducting. JMO
True...Homeowners can't deduct unless they're medically unable to mow their own lawn. Then they have to itemize and most don't.

But homeowners are still obligated to pay sales tax. (there's an exemption in Ohio if your neighbor mows your lawn) So if they write the LCO a check, there's a record. And it better have sales tax.
If someone collects sales tax and don't pay it to the state, It's a crime.

I make it part of my sales pitch, "I'm licensed, insured and collect and pay in sales tax."
Then I watch their faces when they get an expression kind of like this;
Old 03-16-2010, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have sales tax on mowing and alot of Service's. Most landscaping is not taxed. Our problem is We live and work on a county line. One county has a higher sales tax because of a stadium funding deal and the other does not. So the trick is finding out what tax to charge. It states charge based on your business location. Well our office address is in the higher of the 2 so when we charge to the lower county people get upset they are being charged. Its a mess

Tags
tax