Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwikDraw View Post
It's 4 bladed and works very good. It'll take down a 7 inch diameter tree quick....of course then you have a 7 inch diameter tree on the ground and processing it takes some time with a rotary. Very good for "it just needs to be down". I broke my motor in half two times (warrantied both times)since then they have come out with a fix for that and no trouble with it since. It's a good brush mower, a Bradco will cut grass better with it's longer blades. It's always a trade off.

It may suffer with the flow of the TL150, it really needs a high flow machine to get it done.

It was just over 8k when I got mine.
I have a Davco and i raise the loader as high as it will go and start chipping the tree on the way down, that way you don`t have a whole tree on the ground
Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackCat View Post
I have a Davco and i raise the loader as high as it will go and start chipping the tree on the way down, that way you don`t have a whole tree on the ground
I have a question, what happens if you hit a stump thats covered in grass or vines? does it lock up and stall the machine, brake something or what?

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 02-17-2010, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman2007 View Post
I have a question, what happens if you hit a stump thats covered in grass or vines? does it lock up and stall the machine, brake something or what?
it may stall a low flow machine but it will not on a high flow machine like mine, it will cut it off. I cut off a fire hydrant level with the ground and it never missed a beat, had a couple of big notches in the blades, (and some brown stuff in the seat) But it didn`t stall. The only time mine ever stalled was when i hit a car rim and it got bound up on top of the blades and the top of the cutter, I had to take a sledge hammer and beat it out. it`s amazing what you can cut with this cutter, but you have to be careful because it throws things with a vengence. i`ve learned that mine mostly throws everything to the left.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

At the risk of an attempted hijack, I've got a few questions about this style of cutter(Davco,Ammbusher,repainted Fecon,etc) I do alot of mowing and I'm using a tractor at present. I would really like to get a tracked skid and a davco. I turn down alot of work that this type of cutter would be great at. But I'm gun shy about the carrier. I was strongly leaning towards a ASV SR80/
PT80 high flow for this. I'm finding them just too pricey for my taste. What would be a good compromise of either ctl of wheeled unit with OTT's? I'd be using it for about 50% mowing and the rest normal skid work( forks,dirtwork,grapple). Is high flow a must? I was interested in Ted's comment about what to do with the tree when down. I was figuring to lift the cutter and then lower it into the brush. Is there any reason not to do this? Sorry for the Hijack Chris.

Matt
Old 02-17-2010, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
it may stall a low flow machine but it will not on a high flow machine like mine, it will cut it off. I cut off a fire hydrant level with the ground and it never missed a beat, had a couple of big notches in the blades, (and some brown stuff in the seat) But it didn`t stall. The only time mine ever stalled was when i hit a car rim and it got bound up on top of the blades and the top of the cutter, I had to take a sledge hammer and beat it out. it`s amazing what you can cut with this cutter, but you have to be careful because it throws things with a vengence. i`ve learned that mine mostly throws everything to the left.
Sounds good, thanks for the tip. I'm looking forward to trying it out the end of this week. What size and HP machine are you using your mower on?

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

New facebook fan page

Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Sounds good, thanks for the tip. I'm looking forward to trying it out the end of this week. What size and HP machine are you using your mower on?
I have a 297C Caterpillar 94 Hp 33 gallons per min. high flow, Does an awesome job
Old 02-17-2010, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I have a 297C Caterpillar 94 Hp 33 gallons per min. high flow, Does an awesome job
Ok the Taks like 99Hp and has 26 GPM. Man I want to try it now haha!

If it does work I foresee buying one in the near future. I'm seeing more of a need for this kind of work around here as far as property maintenance.

another question:

Have you noticed and additional wear to the tracks from driving over all the sharp stumps and sticks?

New facebook fan page

Old 02-17-2010, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhunter View Post
At the risk of an attempted hijack, I've got a few questions about this style of cutter(Davco,Ammbusher,repainted Fecon,etc) I do alot of mowing and I'm using a tractor at present. I would really like to get a tracked skid and a davco. I turn down alot of work that this type of cutter would be great at. But I'm gun shy about the carrier. I was strongly leaning towards a ASV SR80/
PT80 high flow for this. I'm finding them just too pricey for my taste. What would be a good compromise of either ctl of wheeled unit with OTT's? I'd be using it for about 50% mowing and the rest normal skid work( forks,dirtwork,grapple). Is high flow a must? I was interested in Ted's comment about what to do with the tree when down. I was figuring to lift the cutter and then lower it into the brush. Is there any reason not to do this? Sorry for the Hijack Chris.

Matt
High flow would definetly run the cutter better and Imo is easier on the machine. as far as lowering the cutter onto brush or trees, the only reason not to do this would be if you are near houses or cars because it throws things like crazy. i hit my Dads truck with a stick he was about 200 feet away and it dented his door
Old 02-17-2010, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

If it does work I foresee buying one in the near future. I'm seeing more of a need for this kind of work around here as far as property maintenance.

another question:

Have you noticed and additional wear to the tracks from driving over all the sharp stumps and sticks?
26 gpm would probably run it pretty good, on clearing jobs like you do it would work good to go in and grind up all the small stuff to reduce haul off or burning. i haven`t really noticed any wear, just be careful not to make sharp turns on top of stumps I usually cut the stump off ground level so you don`t have to worry about it. You will love the cutter and wonder how you ever got along with out it
Old 02-17-2010, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

another question:

There is alot of need for this type of service , i`ve been doing alot of lots in developments where they are so thick that people can`t see what the lots look like so i go in and grind all the underbrush and smaller trees then they can see what the lot looks like. after i done a bunch of lots in a golf course they sold 3 $350,000 lots so now they want to do a bunch more