Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2010, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quickbooks and payroll--> How do you do it?

Our paychecks get issued each Friday. Every Friday morning I call our accountant and give the hours for each employee, he then calls back with the net pay for each check. At the end of each quarter, I get suprised by large payments related to payroll taxes. I wouldlike to know exactly what is owed a we progress through a quarter rather than estimating $x,xxx should be "set aside."

This has worked OK for the past 2 years but I'm sure something can be done to improve our system, I just don't know what that would be!

How do you process your checks?

I have recently thought about QB payroll program but I am not sure if it is worth it.

Let it fly............
Old 02-16-2010, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I use quickbooks payroll. It was $199 for a year with up to 3 employees. It makes it easy cause quickbooks will show you your current payroll liabilities at any given time. Quickbooks also files all my forms except local city taxes for me.

Personally quickbooks payroll works great for me, it's very nice to have all information on the same program, very easy to track taxes due.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingetlawncare View Post
I use quickbooks payroll. It was $199 for a year with up to 3 employees.

Personally quickbooks payroll works great for me, it's very nice to have all information on the same program, very easy to track taxes due.
Do yo have renew annually?

What if you have more than 3 employees, are there options for that?

thanks!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I do renew it annually. They have the 3 employees for $199 and then they have an unlimited employee package. I'm not positive but I beleive it was in the $299.00/year range.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Up to last quarter I used a payroll processing company (ADP)...probablly for around 3 or 4 years now. They were very good. My payroll was setup bi-weekly during the season and monthly during the offseason. The cost (depending on payroll of course) for me was somewhere from 60 to upwards of 75 per payroll process. The nice thing about it was when they called you literally gave the employee hours or salary (I had both) and then let them know right over the phone whether or not you had any changes to make (new hire, layoff, etc.).

ADP was responsible for everything, writing the check, withholdings, depositing state and federal, etc. I would get a packet via messager the next day, the only thing I had to do was open the packet, sign the checks and hand them out. FYI, they do have the direct deposit option for a few bucks more but I never did it. Keep in mind my secretary had to transfer all the info in the checks over to my quickbooks, granted it was all spelled out in the paperwork but it still had to be manually entered. ADP has been very good but IMHO, they were getting a little pricey for my limited payroll. One of the best things he payroll company offered was worker comp coverage through another company. HOWEVER, I never had to estimate my WC coverage payments it was automatically calculated. It helped my company big time with cash flow. I didn't have to save up for that 2 or 3k deposit come march and I didn't have to worry about owing anything at the end of the year because the correct amount was taken out every payroll. that was a nice feature.

With all that said I have switched over to quickbooks enhanced payroll. they have a few forms of payroll but I choose enhanced for me. The basic is just to basic, you still have to fill out all those forms and deposit them. With enhanced (as I understand it) it downloads them, fills them out, and pays everything online. The nicest part about it...everything is in your system so now I'm going to know immediately about my company's cash flow b/c its run through QB. The cost is going to be significant...For under three employees its around 20 bucks a month and for 4 or more its about 25. Last fiscal year ADP ran me $1,387.12...the cost for the payroll software AND the 2010 QB pro was $350. Assuming $25 a month that is still a savings of OVER 700 bucks!

Now, there will be some setbacks as well...I have to now enter my payroll, print the checks, and figure out my WC insurance. But we'll see.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1234 View Post
Now, there will be some setbacks as well...I have to now enter my payroll, print the checks, and figure out my WC insurance. But we'll see.
There are a few setbacks with it im sure. I have not used adp with lawn care but I have used it for a gift shop my wife ran. I use the quickbooks enhanced payroll as well for my lawn care and I love knowing at any time I can enter or change things. I don't have to try to explain anything to someone across the phone.

Printing of the checks is not bad, and they do send and pay the taxes for you. For me I have to figure out my local city taxes but everything else including unemployment coverage is all figured out.

I think you will like the quickbooks enhanced

Serving Huron, Erie, Ottawa, And Sandusky Counties In Ohio

1998 Ford Explorer
2009 12' Trailer
2003 Grasshopper 220 52" cut
33" Troy-bilt Wide Cut Mower
and more

Started My Business In 2009
Old 02-17-2010, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingetlawncare View Post
There are a few setbacks with it im sure. I have not used adp with lawn care but I have used it for a gift shop my wife ran. I use the quickbooks enhanced payroll as well for my lawn care and I love knowing at any time I can enter or change things. I don't have to try to explain anything to someone across the phone.

Printing of the checks is not bad, and they do send and pay the taxes for you. For me I have to figure out my local city taxes but everything else including unemployment coverage is all figured out.

I think you will like the quickbooks enhanced
was curious how you run/pay your workman's comp. I heard it can be done through the QB payroll. any more info would be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

QB payroll is an excellent way to go. Well worth the money!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1234 View Post
was curious how you run/pay your workman's comp. I heard it can be done through the QB payroll. any more info would be appreciated.
In ohio workers compensation is done through a website setup and ran by the state. I simply print a report of payroll and puch the numbers into the states website. Only takes me about 10 minutes and only have to do it every other month.

I'm not sure on how your state operates so I don't know if this helpful for you or not.

Serving Huron, Erie, Ottawa, And Sandusky Counties In Ohio

1998 Ford Explorer
2009 12' Trailer
2003 Grasshopper 220 52" cut
33" Troy-bilt Wide Cut Mower
and more

Started My Business In 2009