Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2010, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ipod Touch question

I want to kill my cell phone plan. don't talk much, mainly text and email. I use ipod touch for some stuff & can even talk on it with skype... but of course without mobile wifi I can't use it everywhere. I have seen some mobile wifi plans for about $60 per month which is not cheap enough to do away with cell. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 02-16-2010, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
I want to kill my cell phone plan. don't talk much, mainly text and email. I use ipod touch for some stuff & can even talk on it with skype... but of course without mobile wifi I can't use it everywhere. I have seen some mobile wifi plans for about $60 per month which is not cheap enough to do away with cell. Any ideas? Thanks
$40 unlimited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.metropcs.com/
Old 02-16-2010, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier-Lawn View Post
$40 unlimited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.metropcs.com/
Thnx Frontier but the metro pcs coverage where I am (really rural) is pretty scarce.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought an iTouch a few weeks ago. I'm beginning to see the power of having full-time access. Maybe should have opted for something else.

I am on Verizon Wireless with my cell service. Verizon offers a device, 3G Mobile Hotspot. It taps into the 3G network, which seems to be available is most all locations. It sets up a hotspot for wi-fi, up to five devices.

What I picture is having this device (small, pocket-book size) tap into 3G network, than use the wi-fi feature off my iTouch. This provides 3G service, no matter where I may be.

The device isn't expensive, but does require a data plan. I think one can get a limited plan for $30/month.

Some info:

http://wirelesssupport.verizon.com/f...e_hotspot.html

When I got my iTouch, one primary intention was to use it for weather maps while working in the field. I now get them on my cell phone, but slow and small. I was told that many residences have wireless routers, and I could just tap into one of them for a short time to do a weather check.

I have taken my iTouch out on the street walking up and down the street. In general, I find oodles of hotspots for wi-fi, but most are locked down. In the residential neighborhoods I work, I see the access come and go as I walk up the street. Sometimes, I may be in the domain region of two or three, sometimes up to nine. But, about 90% of them are padlocked. When I do find an open one, I fire it up, pull down a map, and it is good. The key is to find enough open locations to get the timely weather maps as needed. Yes, I can drive to a Starbucks, Panera, or some other location, but I want to have access where I may be working. I'm afraid that I may find many of my customers have a wireless router, but have it padlocked down. I hesitate to ask for a password. Anybody done this? If so, was the customer open to giving it to you, knowing it would be for limited usage?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I just bought an iTouch a few weeks ago. I'm beginning to see the power of having full-time access. Maybe should have opted for something else.

I am on Verizon Wireless with my cell service. Verizon offers a device, 3G Mobile Hotspot. It taps into the 3G network, which seems to be available is most all locations. It sets up a hotspot for wi-fi, up to five devices.

What I picture is having this device (small, pocket-book size) tap into 3G network, than use the wi-fi feature off my iTouch. This provides 3G service, no matter where I may be.

The device isn't expensive, but does require a data plan. I think one can get a limited plan for $30/month.

Some info:

http://wirelesssupport.verizon.com/f...e_hotspot.html

When I got my iTouch, one primary intention was to use it for weather maps while working in the field. I now get them on my cell phone, but slow and small. I was told that many residences have wireless routers, and I could just tap into one of them for a short time to do a weather check.

I have taken my iTouch out on the street walking up and down the street. In general, I find oodles of hotspots for wi-fi, but most are locked down. In the residential neighborhoods I work, I see the access come and go as I walk up the street. Sometimes, I may be in the domain region of two or three, sometimes up to nine. But, about 90% of them are padlocked. When I do find an open one, I fire it up, pull down a map, and it is good. The key is to find enough open locations to get the timely weather maps as needed. Yes, I can drive to a Starbucks, Panera, or some other location, but I want to have access where I may be working. I'm afraid that I may find many of my customers have a wireless router, but have it padlocked down. I hesitate to ask for a password. Anybody done this? If so, was the customer open to giving it to you, knowing it would be for limited usage?
Yeah I wouldn't ask for anyone's password. The touch is limited but I still will not go in for a data plan for iphone.

will check the link you sent.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

After having my ipod touch for a while I have found a few spots that work good on my route where I can pick up internet.

I would really like to pay for a full time thing for it though. Can I use that metropcs thing for my ipod touch? If so how does it work? Anyone that uses it is it worth it? good loading speeds?
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Old 02-18-2010, 05:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Upgrade to an iphone.....you have no reason to try and run a business using an ipod......C'mon Man!!!!!

Chad Clark
225-257-5566
chad@clarkunlimited.com
www.clarkunlimited.com
www.facebook.com/culawns
La. Licensed Landscape Horticulturist
La. Licensed Ornamental & Turf Pesticide Applicator
La. Licensed Irrigation Contractor

Tags
cell , ipod , mobile