Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

re-application

I am considering using Fluid-Film this year on a brand new Toro GrandStand mower. I've read a little about it and have heard a lot about it. My question is: after the first application, which would be on brand new clean paint, what is required in the area of deck cleaning for the second application next week (I am a homeowner)? I scrape away the grass clippings after each mowing, but do not remove the thin 'film of grass' that coats the deck. Would I have to get the deck down to clean paint before applying coats two, three, etc? Also, which Fluid Film is recommended for 'grass prevention' on mower decks--original or the thinner 'A' Fluid-Film? If I use the undercoating gun, can the Fluid-Flm be stored in it betweeen applications or does it have to be cleaned out each time? I thank you for your responses.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are applying to a brand new deck, you shouldn't have to scrape after using Fluid Film. I'd give it a good coat to start. You could just rinse out the deck before the second application. You will want the deck clean before applying again, and a rinse should take care of it.

Our regular aerosol is what you want to use, although the bulk product works better just because you can put on a thicker coat. It's also quite a bit cheaper than buying by the can. If you use an undercoating gun, you do not need to clean it out between applications. You could also just apply by paint brush.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I didn't realize that it would clean so well. On my last mower I started out from the first time applying automobile wax to the underside of the deck. It worked well initially, then after several weeks the effect diminished to the point of the grass building up, pulling off the paint and rusting (consequently building up grass worse). I guess I thought that the same would happen after a while with Fluid-Film.
So, using the spray (I assume pump or aerosol ) or brush (and I assume the original formula to build up better) I should put on a really good coat initially, then scrape, hose-off (and the deck should be pretty clean...lots of red paint showing?) and then reapply, repeating this process each time?
One more question I forgot to ask earlier, is there a difference between applying the Fluid-Film after a mowing session (having it sit there for a week) vs applying minutes before mowing? I really don't want to have to apply it at any other time if I can avoid it.
and lastly, if I apply it and let it sit for a week, do I have to be worried about it dripping off and 'puddling' on my garage floor? One more thing, can I benefit from applying it to the 'outside surfaces' of the mower, applying it with a cloth and buffing it dry to prevent grass staining, dulling of the paint, etc...will this work?
Thanks again for your help with this.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, it is a maintenance type application. From what I've understood from those who use it, apply once a month during the wet season and once every other month during the dry. It's not really going to matter when you apply since the product doesn't evaporate or dry out. You shouldn't get much dripping at all since it is a thick product that will embed into the pores of the metal. You certainly could apply it to the outside of the mower. It will help with all the applications mentioned.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I second everything Dano said. This is pretty much what I do with all my mowers. Sometimes I will apply it slightly more frequently just because of the volume of grass that I cut. It keeps the clipping buildup to a minimum, when you do get small amounts of buildup it will come off really easily, and no matter what your deck will get slightly scraped up underneath due to sand and other small debris, but the fluid film will prevent under the deck from rust and corrosion. I put it on the other parts of the mower also and besides protecting it it will polish it up really nice for you too. By the way, congrats on the Toro Grandstand! Nice purchase!
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input DANO50 and DLAWNS. I will definitely go with the Fluid-Film. I can think of other applications for it as well.
I just ordered the 48"/24hp, should be in next month. I'm replacing a walk-behind belt/gear drive so I really look forward to using it both 'riding' and walking.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Dan, ok let me set you stright. On a brand new deck (well what i did was take some 800 grit and lightly scuff up the bottom of the deck and then brush on FF nice and thick)
Now Mysteryman I know you might not want to do that, so get a gallon and a cheap brush and slap it on the deck. Just so you know when you get the Grandstand, you can stand it up on its back, to make it easy. take your blades off first, Take the blade bolts and degrease the bolts, apply FF to bolts and set aside. Next apply to the blades after you sharpen and balance them for the first time. Now you are ready to apply to the deck, slap it on there, make sur you get it good and thick around the spindles, cause thats were the grass likes to stick. put blades on and now you are done with the deck. Now next take the rear wheels off and apply to the back of the wheels, you will thank me later makes it very easy to clean. Then apply to any other spots you want. Oh one thing take the leg pad down and spray the cables and all the controls.

Also what we do is power wash all decks in the spring with simple green and some bleach. let dry, brush on heavy, in April. in May we just power wash and apply agian and then about every two months after that tell the next year
12 foot dump trailer
61 inch buton
52 inch ferris
quick 36
48 inch exmark
Bobcat 643
Sthil trimmers and blowers and one damn echo that wont die, so i may shoot it soon
all sorts of hand tools
Way more stuff then that, but i just dont want to list.

And the toy for fun 1994 Baja 18 footer with a 4.3

Last edited by R & R Yard Designs; 02-19-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

R&R Yard Designs-

I'm okay with scuffing the deck to have the FF 'grip' better.
As far as the blade bolts, I assume that degreasing allows the FF to best get into the pores and do its job, does the FF act as an anti-seize allowing the bolts to be removed easily while maintaining the 100ft lbs (+/-) of torque that I would be setting them with?
Regarding the intervals of application, wouldn't I want to reapply FF any time I really cleaned the underside of the deck with water (I believe they advise not to pressure-wash the spindles themselves)? That's the one area I'm having trouble understanding.
Thanks for the suggestions, especially the cables and wheels. From what I have read about FF, I should be able to apply it to any material (except NATURAL rubber which may swell). I look forward to having a clean deck from now on!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Russ, thank you for the detailed application! That helps quite a bit.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hey mysteryman check these out

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...25&postcount=3
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...28&postcount=4
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=286871