Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-19-2010, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

ford transmission replacement

Ok i have a 2005 F-350 mason dump with the 5.4 gas engine and auto trans. While towing my tractor around yesterday the transmission sprung a leak spraying fluid onto the exhaust. The trans still shifted fine, didn't overheat or make any strange noises or anything. The ford dealer says the transmission case is cracked. They want $2400-$2800 to replace the case and reuse the old parts with a warranty on the new parts. Or they could give me a oem ford rebuilt trans with a 3 year 75k warranty for $3,500. I also called around and am waiting on a price to replace with a re-man Jasper trans with 3 year 100k warranty. What should I do?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

go with the new ford. good warranty see if you cant negotiate a better price things are slow at dealerships right now and they will probally be able to work with you some on the price. i know i work at one in my spare time/off season. itll never hurt to ask. also i would recomned going and checking the truck out myself to see where its cracked at and make sure they're not feeding you a line of bull.... like i said before its slow = they need money ( some dealers cam eb shaddy)
Old 02-20-2010, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just tell em you wont pay more than $2500, and you want the new one. Just keep buggin them about it.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 02-20-2010, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess it won't hurt to try. I still can't believe the case cracked. I guess something inside came apart?
Old 02-20-2010, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

if something inside came apart and cracked the case ( it would need alot of force to do this) then it would for sure tear up other things as well and they would not be able to reuse the other parts. also if it came apart then the trans should be full of metal pieces at some point it had to begin to wear before it just came apart. the chances of it just all the sudden throwing out a gear are unlikely.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd stick with OEM as well. Do NOT get anything without a warranty, or you'll be biting yourself later. I'd also stay away from the one off transmission shops. 20% of unsatisfied customers is hard to ignore.