Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-11-2010, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think FB is one of those things that too many people think is a magic bullet, since it's the new hotness that "everyone" says you need to add to your marketing strategy. If you're trying to build a business with personality, authority, and personal connections it's a good way to go. Richard, you're totally using it the "right" way. If you just create a FB page and go "ok customers, come open your wallets" then you'll be disappointed. Just like networking or a chamber of commerce, you get out what you put in.

I subscribe to a few marketing magazines and e-newsletters. There was a survey recently where a majority of respondents said they were gung-ho all in for social media marketing, let's do it, throw some serious coin at it, yeehaw. Less than 20% said they really understood how it would work or how they would even measure its effectiveness. These weren't just mom and pop businesses, either.

If you're at all interested in using social media, Seth Godin's blog- and his books- are a good place to start.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like your facebook page, and your website. It looks like you do a lot of work to promote your business online, is your website bringing you any business?

Our Facebook Page

A goal properly set is halfway reached - - Zig Ziglar
Old 02-13-2010, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I like your facebook page, and your website. It looks like you do a lot of work to promote your business online, is your website bringing you any business?
Thanks Matt...Yes I do a lot of online marketing. Websites are a hobby of mine so it is nice I can take care of that in-house.

I receive about 60% of all new leads from my website, and I am not exaggerating. Having a good online presence is very important for our future growth...as the client becomes for computer savvy I need to follow suit and deliver.

Having a good online portfolio is great for showcasing your work. Having a good SEO campaign in place is even better for getting new leads.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is an interesting angle to think about regarding Facebook, and understanding it may not be illusive.

Some folks say or think they get a few customers from Facebook.

From a professional point of view, I think its a slight bit cheezy. Its certainly not elegant.

So the question remains, if you have a Facebook button on a website, could some customers veer away from a service due to a social networking button or page?

Does someone gain 2 customers and loose zero? Or could they have gained 3 but lost 5?

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 02-14-2010, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would a button be a turnoff? I don't think it would impact the person viewing the site any more than a signup box for an email newsletter- if they care, they'll do it. If they don't they won't even pay any attention.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
From a professional point of view, I think its a slight bit cheezy. Its certainly not elegant.
I can appreciate where you are coming from...and I do believe that 3-5 years ago it could be considered cheezy. However with over 250 Million registered facebook.com users out there and with most users averaging 4 visits per day...man, if I can capture some of that I would be a happy man.

Social media is evolving and I am not going to be left behind (now that sounded cheezy but you know what I mean).

Quote:
Why would a button be a turnoff? I don't think it would impact the person viewing the site any more than a signup box for an email newsletter- if they care, they'll do it. If they don't they won't even pay any attention.
I agree...however I think where mdvaden is coming from is valid. Think of sites like myspace.com where you can have all the flashy and sparkly bits, like MTV back in the day, cheezy is the perfect description. But when done in a professional manner I believe it works very well.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we have it linked for now on our website, and have some fans, that will sure to increase with the push of our site this spring. i dont personally use FB, i think it is stupid, but for business and staying connected, it cant hurt
Old 02-20-2010, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Having a business listed on Facebook to me is an open page for people to post positive and negatives about not only your business, but about you as well. Granted, you can delete the posts you don't like, but then word of mouth spreads and before you know it people are calling you a cheat because you don't like hearing the truth. It might not be the truth per say, but for someone who you've bothered in the past, they WILL find you on Facebook.

I decline a lot of old friends that try to add me, only because I don't consider them friends. FB is good for socializing with people you DO know, but as a business, I wouldn't advertise on there even if it costs nothing.

I do however, advertise locally on kijiji.ca for instance. I re-post my ad every few days for a couple weeks before the growing season takes off and I get dozens of calls, emails and visits. It's free advertising as well, but if anyone wants to leave feedback, I get it directly, it doesn't get posted publicly.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot to mention that you shouldn't use a FB 'business' page, and also use it for personal use. Mixing the two can be disastrous.

I don't need a FB page to advertise that I'm an honest, to the point and a reasonable guy to deal with. My clients can sense that for themselves.