Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2010, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn installation by slit seeder

I am going to install a few lawns this spring and am going to be using a slit seeder to do so. I was wondering when in the spring is the best time to do this, what would be the best types of seed to use for a mostly sunny area and what would be a good starter fertilizer and rate to use? Any other advice is more than welcome as I am just starting out.
Thanks in advance
Ryan Overseeder
1995 Chevy 1500
Old 02-20-2010, 03:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

use a fescue and blugrass blend. up there i would guess to seed about the first to middle of april, and use about 8-10 lbs seed per K. any starter fert is good , but mostly look for balanced or higher P and K then N in your fert choice. make sure you dont put the fert down too heavy, depending on the fert ratios, you are looking at around 3-4.5 lbs per K for fert.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Take a look at http://www.ntep.org/ for varieties tested in your area as well as which specific brands were best.

As Grassman said, Fescue / Bluegass blends work well.

If Michigan is about the same as southern Ontario temperature wise. It's normally the second or third week of April before the ground temperature gets up to 65F Degrees. Sometimes it's been as late as mid May here. Just depends on the weather and when the frost comes out. I imagine it will be early this year with the winter we're having. My rule of thumb is always be ready to go April 1st
Old 02-20-2010, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

kurto,
You are almost in my back yard. By new lawns do you mean on bare soil? I am not sure if a slit seeder is the weapon of choice.
Anyway, around here a mixture of bluegrass and perennial rye is most often used. Try to find a mix of 80 percent blue and 20 percent rye. The rye is more aggressive as a seedling and will tend to crowd out the blue--so you end up with about a 50 50 mixture. One of my favorites is Lesco's "Athletic Blend". (not the ratio I would like.)

Begin when the grass greens up in your neighborhood--about April 15.

Be sure to not guarantee anything as you cannot control weather or customer watering.

Be sure to use starter fertilizer. And follow up at 3 weeks and 6 weeks with a high nitrogen booster feeding like 24-0-11 to stimulate maximum growth and rapid fill-in.
You will need plenty of weed control for most spring seedings...send me a private message and I can set you up with a weed control and or fert program.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Alright, thanks guys this really helps and RigglePLC I sent you a PM, thanks for the help it is much appreciated.
Ryan Overseeder
1995 Chevy 1500
Old 02-21-2010, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a few questions. Not about seed choice, but seed bed prep. Are these new lawns total new lawn or over seeding old lawn? If new, is everything leveled and smoothed out? Low spots filled in and high spots cut down?

I find that for a completely new lawn, a slit seeder is not the best way to go. You will end up with rows of grass that will take time to fill in, look unsightly, and wide bare spaces, open to weed infestation. The best method, in my opinion, would be to run over the soil North to south-East to west with a Vertical Mower. then broadcast seed and roll it over. This method will give you complete coverage, & an even lawn, with less room for weeds.

Slit seeders are nice for over-seeding an existing lawn.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betmr View Post
I have a few questions. Not about seed choice, but seed bed prep. Are these new lawns total new lawn or over seeding old lawn? If new, is everything leveled and smoothed out? Low spots filled in and high spots cut down?

I find that for a completely new lawn, a slit seeder is not the best way to go. You will end up with rows of grass that will take time to fill in, look unsightly, and wide bare spaces, open to weed infestation. The best method, in my opinion, would be to run over the soil North to south-East to west with a Vertical Mower. then broadcast seed and roll it over. This method will give you complete coverage, & an even lawn, with less room for weeds.

Slit seeders are nice for over-seeding an existing lawn.
You're right IMO
Slit seeders are for overseeding.

Because we do larger properties, for new lawns we use the tractor with a land leveler or a landscaping box depending on how bad the construction equipment left it, then a harrow. If the soil is very sandy like it is here a lot, we might till in Peat and Compost.
Seed / Fertilizer is spread with broadcast spreaders then cover the seed with the land leveler on the lowest setting then rolled with the roller 1/2 full.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Well 3 of them are lawns that just have bare spots and will be overseeded, but 1 is a new construction that will be a fresh install. I haven't really decided on how to install that one yet weather it be the way you guys suggested or hydroseeder.
Ryan Overseeder
1995 Chevy 1500
Old 02-21-2010, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurto_15 View Post
Well 3 of them are lawns that just have bare spots and will be overseeded, but 1 is a new construction that will be a fresh install. I haven't really decided on how to install that one yet weather it be the way you guys suggested or hydroseeder.
Just a suggestion. On the new one, broadcast or hydro-seed which ever you choose. Bed prep is most important. Smooth out high and low spots, and scratch up the soil, for good seed/soil contact. And be sure customer understands the need for proper watering, until good germination is estasblished.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betmr View Post
And be sure customer understands the need for proper watering, until good germination is estasblished.
On smaller lawns we will loan the customer a inexpensive timer and set it up for them. Eliminates them forgetting to water and the ensuing hassles if the lawn doesn't establish properly due to improper watering.

Most of the larger places have irrigation systems.