Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2009, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Progressive is owned by George Soros. He named that company right, eh?

I wouldn't give that jackazz a penny of my money even if it is cheaper.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I wasn't aware of that. But even so, for about a $1500 a year difference, I don't care who owns it as long as they keep treating me as good as they have.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been with State Farm for over 18 yrs. Have never had a problem with any claim. In the past 4 yrs we have had 2 totals and a collision repair and my premium has only gone up about 12%. I don't see myself leaving, they will have to get rid of me.

James
Old 01-14-2009, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How much should a small business alocate for insurance. I guess I'm asking if there is a 'golden rule' in the business world regarding how much of your budget should be spent on insurance, a threshold so to speak.
In running my numbers and working on end of year, I am at 8% of total gross sales spent on insurance (liability, WC, commercial auto and umbrella). I feel this is way too much.
Obviously, the answer would be to raise my gross, in turn lowering the percentage, as the insurance is almost a fixed cost (minus the WC, which is based on number of hours worked).
Anyone have any feedback? good or bad. It is something I need to address. (Though, it is probably just b/c I live in the good ole state of NY!)
Old 01-14-2009, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfromNY View Post
How much should a small business alocate for insurance. I guess I'm asking if there is a 'golden rule' in the business world regarding how much of your budget should be spent on insurance, a threshold so to speak.
In running my numbers and working on end of year, I am at 8% of total gross sales spent on insurance (liability, WC, commercial auto and umbrella). I feel this is way too much.
Obviously, the answer would be to raise my gross, in turn lowering the percentage, as the insurance is almost a fixed cost (minus the WC, which is based on number of hours worked).
Anyone have any feedback? good or bad. It is something I need to address. (Though, it is probably just b/c I live in the good ole state of NY!)
We are spending a little over 5% annually for our insurance.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It wouldn't take me a whole lot more to get my gross up, in effect bringing my percent cost down, but man- when you think of almost 10% of EVERYTHING you make in a year going to insurance?!?! Mind boggling. Nevermind taxes and everything else. Where's that big circle 'Bang head here' ????
Old 01-19-2009, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon11 View Post
I wasn't aware of that. But even so, for about a $1500 a year difference, I don't care who owns it as long as they keep treating me as good as they have.
That's fine. This is a free country and you can do as you please with your cash.

I just can't give my cash to a self proclaimed owner of the Democrat Party and a Nazi collaborator. Even if they are cheaper.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 01-19-2009, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have also heard bad things about All State....sorry about the problems that you had with them. I used Progessive and had no problems but have switched over to Peerless so I have one big policy with my liability and everything else.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-19-2009, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfromNY View Post
Sorry in advance about my little tantrum rant, heres the story:
Same insurance company, Allstate, for 16 years with ZERO claims and ZERO tickets.
Two years ago, January 27 2007, Some dip$hit kid backed out of a parking space in a private parking lot while I was plowing, I was backing up and he slammed into me. As we were writing up the police report after the accident the kid made it known that he was 'Hurrying to get out of my way', but 'I was NOT in reverse'. That being said, I got the ticket for unsafe backing.
At court, the judge laughed at the ticket and tore it up. My insurance company at the time paid the kid $1300 for full replacement value of the POS car he was driving....
Fast forward to insurance renewal, Allstate raised my rates by $2300.00/ year.
So, I shop around and go with Erie insurance. Prices are great, Agent is great, nothing bad whatsoever about the company....
Today, my wife and I go to my agent to transfer HER insurance policy on HER car from Allstate to Erie. Because of MY fender bender two years ago, HER policy will increase by $100.00/ yr. b/c we are now classified as 'High Risk' drivers. She has a flawless driving record of 14 years. I dont even driver her vehicle.
WTF!!!!!! I'M a high risk driver?? How bad do I want to go find that kid that backed into me and do something I would regret??????
wait till erie raises your policy EVERY year then wonders why you drop them.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler7692 View Post
That would be Allstate for you. HORRIBLE. Theres a guy in my town driving a truck around with a wrecked Harley in the back. He's flying an upside down Allstate flag and has writing all over his truck, including "Allstate: Proud Sponsor of Brickyard (NASCAR Race), but can't pay their claims! He's also got a youtube address on the truck, although I'm not sure what it says.

You mean this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WcZJ3ww07U
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)