Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2010, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You know, there is one good thing to come out of this for Cat.

Now they'll actually have something to compete against C series Deeres with...lmao.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco View Post
You know, there is one good thing to come out of this for Cat.

Now they'll actually have something to compete against C series Deeres with...lmao.
Wow... I didn't realize your dislike was so deep-rooted!

I should figure out who's running their pilot builds and try to get you one. Win your cold little heart right over.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milleam View Post
Keep in mind that this new engine shroud is most likely due to added emissions control hardware. ALL manufacturers have to meet Tier 4 emissions, not just CAT. Most likely, all machines by all manufactures are going to have drastic design changes to engine enclosures to house all this extra hardware.
If that's the case I'd stick with the older units then. That does suck how high the shroud is. I have noticed it seems the D series Deere's have a higher shroud but I could be wrong. I have not looked at one in person yet.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerotor77W View Post
Wow... I didn't realize your dislike was so deep-rooted!

I should figure out who's running their pilot builds and try to get you one. Win your cold little heart right over.

Hahahaha, I'm just bustin' your chops. In all honesty though, I really doubt they'd wanna take one one field follow. We've done our time with that end of things, they aren't really into being a guinea pig again.

That being said, I'd happily take a free ticket to the proving grounds to try one out........lol.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco View Post
Hahahaha, I'm just bustin' your chops. In all honesty though, I really doubt they'd wanna take one one field follow. We've done our time with that end of things, they aren't really into being a guinea pig again.

That being said, I'd happily take a free ticket to the proving grounds to try one out........lol.
Naw, I know you're just giving me a hard time.

It'd be difficult for me to persuade anyone who to talk to on field follow. I suggested a FF customer for another product a few years ago and was rebuffed -- "We don't want a customer that operates a competitive product," they had said. (There was good reason for this, but I was at least still part of the company back then.)
Old 02-11-2010, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks fugly with that engine shroud so high. I guess its the future look for all excavators.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Found two more...

Old 02-12-2010, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

The cab looks somewhat like a mix of a Deere/komatsu and a case. And that engine cover is waayyyyy high. Looks like a 45 ton machine. And deere's backside actually went down a little bit with the d's. At first I didn't like deere's new volvo colors but now I love em. Didn't like a volvo's either but i've grown to like them.
I can't say much about cat's bigger hoes(s365 and 85) but hated the 350. the 345 was a way better machine. I'm more used to a smaller 325 and down. Can't say one thing nice about any 320's besides d's. The 315 and 318 are decent. And i have never seen any cat hoe good on fuel. They are built good but just don't seem to hold up in the long run.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Louisville KY mainly... I bounce from place to place.
[QUOTE=Justin;3414318]The cab looks somewhat like a mix of a Deere/komatsu and a case. And that engine cover is waayyyyy high. Looks like a 45 ton machine. [QUOTE]
Reminds me of the old B series cabs. Square with a bend in the front about 1/2 way up. The venting(? or is it just texture?) and glass layout reminds me of the Komatsu cab, so in my opinion, older cat cabs mixed with Komatsu.
It does look like the 345, scary,aint it?

Oh, and umm... screw the EPA.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I was just reading my ENR and read an article about Cat's future clean-air measures. These are going to be a lot a numbers at once, but pretty interesting. In 2009, Cat spent $6 million per working day for research & development for new, cleaner diesel engines, and $7.5 billion over the past six years. The article also said that prices will rise by about 12% over the next four years for all new machines. As many people have been pointing out, the engine compartment is about 12 inches taller than current models because of the never restrictiond. Finally, the 336E in the pictures earlier is headed to Kewit for job-testing.