Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2010, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am assuming that the parts that you listed Dutch are internal parts. I am very familiar with replacing external washers, sprockets, etc on the drive rods but the problem with my Deere is internal and it's not a big deal to me to put $8 every couple years into it, I don't feel like ripping the tranny apart to take a look.

On my Toros, when the main gears in the trannies go, I believe I've had 3 go out so far, I just pull the transmission and replace with one off of a parts mower, lucky for me I have found a lot of parts. All of them were 3-speeds, we just use them a ton. In fact, I'm sitting on 2 Personal Pace trannies (for the dealer type mower) and have not needed them yet. I have tons of the driveline pieces too, they're really nice to have lying around.
'06 Exmark TT 60" Kohler 20hp
'06 Exmark TT 60" Kawasaki 22hp
'04 Ferris 52" Kawasaki 23 hp w/ Trac Vac
'98 Exmark Metro 36" Kawasaki 14 hp
Toro 21" Proline Mowers
Kawasaki Trimmers
Redmax Blowers
Shindaiwa LE261 Edger
Stihl KM110 Powerhead with attachments
Kawasaki Hedge Trimmer
Old 02-09-2010, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Replacing internal parts in a personal pace is not difficult at all and some bucks can be saved by doing the job yourself. When all is considered the cost of a new transmission will likely offset the shop labor/parts repair. If you have the time/ability to do the repair yourself, once you've done the job a couple of times you can get the job done in an hour. The steel deck personal pace models do require more time for removal/replacement than does the cast aluminum decks. When you look at a complete shop done transmission/driveline repair/replacement, my guess you're looking at a bill around $300+ if you replace everything. I've been absent from the shop envoirnment for a while so my guess may be off a bit due to shop rates and parts costs increases. When you get to that point you have to question whether it is cost effective, particularly with the steel deck units.

Dutch
Old 02-09-2010, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
Replacing internal parts in a personal pace is not difficult at all and some bucks can be saved by doing the job yourself. When all is considered the cost of a new transmission will likely offset the shop labor/parts repair. If you have the time/ability to do the repair yourself, once you've done the job a couple of times you can get the job done in an hour. The steel deck personal pace models do require more time for removal/replacement than does the cast aluminum decks. When you look at a complete shop done transmission/driveline repair/replacement, my guess you're looking at a bill around $300+ if you replace everything. I've been absent from the shop envoirnment for a while so my guess may be off a bit due to shop rates and parts costs increases. When you get to that point you have to question whether it is cost effective, particularly with the steel deck units.

Dutch
Yep, I understand. But when I can get a whole parts mower for say $25 or have one that eventually was unusable, it's easier for me to just replace the whole tranny. But, I know that someday I will have to replace the main gears, when I can't find a parts mower.
'06 Exmark TT 60" Kohler 20hp
'06 Exmark TT 60" Kawasaki 22hp
'04 Ferris 52" Kawasaki 23 hp w/ Trac Vac
'98 Exmark Metro 36" Kawasaki 14 hp
Toro 21" Proline Mowers
Kawasaki Trimmers
Redmax Blowers
Shindaiwa LE261 Edger
Stihl KM110 Powerhead with attachments
Kawasaki Hedge Trimmer
Old 02-22-2010, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

seen this today and wanted ask if anyone ever heard of switching out the drive gears on this model from another model (10550) to speed up the drive. had read bout it a while ago and wanted see for myself (got the parts) but never got around to trying it. anyway broke down the mower tonite maybe in the next couple of days if can find some more time will see if it works but thought i'd ask to see if it's doable. thanks