Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2010, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

If your hauling bobcats and tractors why don't you just buy a float trailer you can get a good heavy duty one for 4 or 5 grand??
Old 02-21-2010, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto52 View Post
If your hauling bobcats and tractors why don't you just buy a float trailer you can get a good heavy duty one for 4 or 5 grand??
I'm not. I dont know what a "float" trailer is but if I ever wanted to I woud have the capability with a heavier built traler versus having one that's super light weight and using it and chancing bending it. This trailer will be really only for lawn mowing, but if I wnat to sell it in the future a heavier frame and axles will be a strong selling point as well. More people could use it. But I'm not buying it for them, i'm buying it for me...
Old 02-22-2010, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
I'm not. I dont know what a "float" trailer is but if I ever wanted to I woud have the capability with a heavier built traler versus having one that's super light weight and using it and chancing bending it. This trailer will be really only for lawn mowing, but if I wnat to sell it in the future a heavier frame and axles will be a strong selling point as well. More people could use it. But I'm not buying it for them, i'm buying it for me...
I think your making to big of a deal about these heavy duty cargo trailers specially if your using it everyday to haul your mowing stuff they are really hard on the truck and fuel cause there so heavy. I also know for a fact they rate them at 3500lbs as more of a liability thing cause My trailer before was a single axle and the payload was only good for 1700lbs. Bought the trailer new in 01 and that thing was loaded double over what it was suppost to be all the time for 8 years all that ever happened was I would get a blow out on one of the tires every two years. but what i was saying about the float trailer is i mean it's an open deck for floating equipment you can get a 14,000lbs payload trailer for about 5 grand and get the light cargo trailer for 5 grand and then you got two trailers for the price of one of your heavy duty cargo trailers..
Old 02-22-2010, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

By "cargo" trailr do you mean an enclosed? Because I'm not buying an enclosed I'm buying an open deck trailer with 1' side rails.

Rough prices here:

"standard light duty" open 83" x 20', rear ramp - ~$2400.
"heavy duty" like I'm looking at with my options 83 x 20 rear and side ramps ~ $4,000
Light duty enclosed, rear ramp, curb side door ~ $ 6,500
Heavy enclosed, as I had it specd out ~ $9,000 to 10,000 depending on brand.

I don't need or want a heavy equipment hauler trailer, and around here a 14K trailer would be around $7,000.

I'm towing with a 1 ton dually truck, it gets 6 mpg towing my 6x12 or my 7x20. Weight of the trailer, between one built well and one that's NOT is really not that big of an issue. If I was pulling with a smaller truck or something lifted up that the tow rating has been comprimised, then yes it would benefit to get a light trailer.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
By "cargo" trailr do you mean an enclosed? Because I'm not buying an enclosed I'm buying an open deck trailer with 1' side rails.

Rough prices here:

"standard light duty" open 83" x 20', rear ramp - ~$2400.
"heavy duty" like I'm looking at with my options 83 x 20 rear and side ramps ~ $4,000
Light duty enclosed, rear ramp, curb side door ~ $ 6,500
Heavy enclosed, as I had it specd out ~ $9,000 to 10,000 depending on brand.

I don't need or want a heavy equipment hauler trailer, and around here a 14K trailer would be around $7,000.

I'm towing with a 1 ton dually truck, it gets 6 mpg towing my 6x12 or my 7x20. Weight of the trailer, between one built well and one that's NOT is really not that big of an issue. If I was pulling with a smaller truck or something lifted up that the tow rating has been comprimised, then yes it would benefit to get a light trailer.
oh ok I thought you were talking about buying an enclosed (cargo) trailer

6mpg? holy thats brutal is it a newer diesel with a DPF??
Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto52 View Post
oh ok I thought you were talking about buying an enclosed (cargo) trailer

6mpg? holy thats brutal is it a newer diesel with a DPF??
it's a 1995 with a 454. Yeah... I went from a 460 ford, to a V-10 dodge, and now this truck with the 454... I guess I like supporting the fuel companies. It's just the work truck though and has a 12' dump bed and tommy gate. The truck alone weighs nearly 10,000 empty. It has LOW miles, that's why I bought it.

I wish it was a diesel, newer of course, not a '95 chevy diesel, lol.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

A 14 litre tractor trailer engine pulling 80,000lbs and can get better fuel mileage then your truck hahaha. but even if you bought a new diesel 07 and up with DPF's on them they get brutal mileage to so you wouldn't really save much money.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jason, I would seriously talk to Eagle if I was you, you can get a custom trailer, with like 5250 axles built the way you want.....5" channel frame standard man. They build em right and they are built in Kansas, it'd be worth talking to them.
22' goosneck flatbed 20' 14k tilt bumper pull skid trailer 18' tandem flatbed
05 JD 737 60" Z
07 JD 657A 54" Quik-trak
11 Z925A JD
Deere 36 w/b hydro
Toro 44 hydro
Deere 21's
Lesco Spreaders
RedMax stihl shindaiwa
200 gal spray rig
Billy Goat truck loader
7753 Bobcat
Old 02-23-2010, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the price yall pay for trailers up north is crazy!

i just ordered my new enclosed. 8.5'x18' with V-nose, 5200lb axles, a bunch of extras $5400 made by Diamond Cargo Trailers

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 02-23-2010, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
the price yall pay for trailers up north is crazy!

i just ordered my new enclosed. 8.5'x18' with V-nose, 5200lb axles, a bunch of extras $5400 made by Diamond Cargo Trailers
We used to pay the "south prices" on trailers here too, since there's so many being built in KS, OK, and MO. But I guess the north prices crept south...

I've just decided to hold off a few months on buying one. I have a guy locally that can do the add ons I want onto a store bought trailer, of just build the whole trailer, but it's usually cheaper to buy one and add to it.

I'm going to get a PJ trailer, 5" frame and 2' dovetail, but with no sides or ramp gates. Then have him build the sides and ramps exactly how I want them. That's the best option I can come up with, and that's better than buying one with the side rails and then having to try to weld expanded metal on them and have to grind off the powdercoat and burn off the other side... I also want a 5' long ramp gate in the rear and PJ only offers 4'. Top hat has a 5' gate but dumbass pins to hold them up.

Point is I didn't find any that would build it the way I want, so I'm going hybrid... The reason for the PJ trailer is that they are the ONLY mfg. out there that builds utility trailers with sides that are removeable and don't NEED to be there for structure. All the other brands use the side rails as part of the trailer frame, and if you want to cut an opening for a side gate or watever, you have comprimised the frame structure and you have to reinforce it under the trailer.

Plus, in a few months I may decide to just go ahead and find an enclosed... I'll have to raise my carport to make one fit, but I have time to decide about all that...