Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-17-2010, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Part time employees

Hey guys started my business last spring and am looking to hire some part time help in my quest for expansion this coming year. Just wondering what kind of taxes I have to pay and if I need workers comp. and whatever else? Tried looking online but couldn't find anything that was as straight forward as I am looking for. Thanks.

'09 Bad Boy Diesel zt
'97 Bobcat zt
'13 Ferris zt
'13 Horton 7x20 enclosed trailer
'03 7x14 landscape trailer
'96 Dodge Cummins 3500 dump
'95 GMC 2500 Pickup
'97 Dodge Cummins 2500
Honda push mowers
Echo handhelds
Proverbs 22:1
Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have comprehensive insurance already? You agent will be able to tell you all you need to have. If the question is should I, then yes.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

yes you will need worker comp. if you use quickbooks already sign up for the payroll option, it will do all your taxes and tell you the due dates for everything.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 02-22-2010, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

its very expensive

to have employees. workers comp, matching soc sec, unemployment, your insurance rates will go up, as will the cost of processing your payroll, even if you do it yourself its time spent on office work. Then the cost of training employees, over and over because its hard to find people that will stay. Just be sure your going to make a profit from the employee, make sure he doesnt end up costing you money

Hope it works out well for you
6 full time
Old 02-23-2010, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

You know what one of the most successful men I know said to me once? He said don't hire employees to make you money cause they cost you a lot of money... and so far in my experience they have, you know breaking things not doing things right, no one is perfect but overall I can't complain about them! Great guys.

'09 Bad Boy Diesel zt
'97 Bobcat zt
'13 Ferris zt
'13 Horton 7x20 enclosed trailer
'03 7x14 landscape trailer
'96 Dodge Cummins 3500 dump
'95 GMC 2500 Pickup
'97 Dodge Cummins 2500
Honda push mowers
Echo handhelds
Proverbs 22:1
Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecal91 View Post
Hey guys started my business last spring and am looking to hire some part time help in my quest for expansion this coming year. Just wondering what kind of taxes I have to pay and if I need workers comp. and whatever else? Tried looking online but couldn't find anything that was as straight forward as I am looking for. Thanks.
There are a lot of details that go with employees, but there are details to buying equipment. You are doing the right thing by researching. Go to your state and Fed web sites. My state does a great job. We can complete forms and file and pay online. Employees cost money, but they make money, the same as a lawn mower. Buy low sell high. There is plenty of accountants out there that will help you. They don't cost much. I do my own stuff. If you are turning down work then you probably need helpers. Yea, employees suck, but so does a broken lawn mower.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecal91 View Post
Hey guys started my business last spring and am looking to hire some part time help in my quest for expansion this coming year. Just wondering what kind of taxes I have to pay and if I need workers comp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
yes you will need worker comp.
Workers' compensation insurance has different laws and requirements in every state. I recommend that you check the laws in your home state of Pennsylvania. You may not be required to carry it for only a few part-time employees. Call an insurance agent and ask and ask for quotes regardless if you are required by law to carry it. It will help avoid the complicated situation of an injured helper that has to bring a lawsuit against you because you donít have workersí compensation insurance.

Lawn Care Businesses in Florida are required to carry workers compensation insurance when they have over 3 employees. Businesses with landscape installation operations need to purchase it when they hire even one part-time employee.

Here are a couple of other articles you may want to check out regarding workersí compensation insurance:

Let me know if you have any questions regarding workers compensation insurance or the other insurance coverages for your landscape maintenance business.

Good luck and congrats on growing your business!