Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-27-2010, 04:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quick disconnect ex. bucket - stuck.

Need to swap buckets on a 55-NX with quick attach. The bucket release lever moves a spring loaded pin that holds the bucket in place. I can pull the release lever out about 1/3rd of the way. It won't budge any more.

In the past I've used a cheater bar on loader quick-disconnect levers, but this release handle is too large to fit anything around it.

I've tried putting the bucket on a stump and gently nudging it forwards & back, nothing frees up the release lever.

Any suggestions for breaking this free?
Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have someone that can give you a hand? It's always easier with two people releasing the couplers that have a little fight in them. Sometimes they aren't even stuck, it's just that you can't get the coupler to roll away from the bucket pins while holding the pin coupler open. Someone needs to be running the machine while the other holds that sucker open. Have someone help you first before you panic, I know I've worked with couplers that I thought were really jammed up only to find out a second pair of hands was all I needed.

If in fact the pin coupler won't open fully, try to lubricate the pivot points. That's a little easier said than done with some couplers if they don't have lube points and the bucket is still attached. If the coupler is covered in mud or debris, use a hose and get all that crap out of there. Once clean, try to lubricate. Have the operator curl the bucket about 30 degrees from dead level, try to open that pin coupler as far as it'll go, then set the bucket on the ground. Jiggle away using a little stick and curl simultaneously, most times that will get a coupler free.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 02-27-2010, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Got a pry bar on it and was able to swap buckets. Thanks.