Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2010, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have really become a fan of grease w/ moly. It fills the wear marks and creates a barrier. Texas refinery probably has the best grease but i use the more readily available Schaeffers brand. very good stuff i also use their oil w/ the same moly complex. I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguyrob View Post
Thanks for the help guys, 65hoss do you like the plugr aerator? Was looking into one for this season.
Bought my 1st Plugr in 2000, and my 2nd in 2002. I sold 1 to CaptKen about 4 seasons ago and he is still using it. I still run mine for fescue in spring and fall and summer aerating. Its about to start its 9th season in about 2 weeks. The job it does is great.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Good deal, hope I can find one for the right price.
5x10 Open Landscape Trailer
07 Scag Wildcat 61"
14 Scag Tiger Cat 52"
14 Scag Vride 36"
07 Scag Z-Cat 36"
03 Scag SWZ 48"
00 Scag SW 32"
Redmax and Echo Trimmers and Blowers
Old 02-28-2010, 04:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There are 2 rules that I stick to (pun intended ha ha) with grease.

1: Never buy more grease than you can use in a few months. Grease is nothing more than oil suspended in a thickening agent. If it sits too long the oil starts to run out. If you go to the store and the top of the tube is dusty or the tube has an oily residue then don't buy it. It has gone past it's prime and the oil is starting to separate. If you get a tube of grease that doesn't seem to want to pump correctly then ditch the grease. It's past it's prime. Someone may have wiped the tube off and stuck it back on the shelf.

2: Don't mix types of greases without cleaning all of the old grease out first. Different types of greases don't mix well and if you mix them you will not get maximum protection.

Have you ever wondered why some people have trouble with bearings despite the fact that they may grease on a regular basis? Even with Extreme Pressure grease! READ THIS before you buy any more grease. It will enlighten you and you can purchase the correct grease. http://www.reliabilityweb.com/art04/...ing_grease.htm

BTW, I used NAPA lithium based grease.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont let anybody tell you oil is oil and grease is grease. There is a difference. Anybody that has seen a race mtr apart and been run on diff oils, and any shaft that has been on diff grease knows there is a big diff. And if you think ANY winning team in Nascar,Indy Car, Formula 1 or any top sport just walks over to Wal-Mart and buys the Tech stuff your on drugs. I run the green Lucas, it aint cheap but never have had spindle or bearing failure.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSide Cutter View Post
Dont let anybody tell you oil is oil and grease is grease. There is a difference. Anybody that has seen a race mtr apart and been run on diff oils, and any shaft that has been on diff grease knows there is a big diff. And if you think ANY winning team in Nascar,Indy Car, Formula 1 or any top sport just walks over to Wal-Mart and buys the Tech stuff your on drugs. I run the green Lucas, it aint cheap but never have had spindle or bearing failure.
The Green Lucas is called Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty. I use it on my mahines as well.

Connecticut Pesticide Supervisor License

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
2011 Ferris DD Comfort Control 52
2009 Kubota ZG227 27 H.P. 54"
2008 48 Scag Belt Driven WB with a 17 kawi
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Little dramatic dont you think? We are talking about zerts on mowers not race cars.

Grease is grease when it comes to what we are using it for. No reason at all to go out and spend 6 or 7 dollars on a tube when you can get the same thing for 2 bucks.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No cause there is a reason its 2 bucks. And most people think Stihl or Echo makes their own oil. My 250 Yamaha was suppose to run on Yamalube got a case of it and inside it was Citgo, quit buying that chit because of that jerk that owns Citgo. What I trying to say the 2 buck stuff is just grease or something thats meets the requirments no more. Most all oils are made by a few companys and to their spects. You let the cheap stuff sit on your shelf and it will leak over time and not very long either. The good stuff wont do that. The Citgo always leaked and also leaks out of the gun on the trailer since switching to Lucas it doesnt do that anymore.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
No cause there is a reason its 2 bucks. And most people think Stihl or Echo makes their own oil. My 250 Yamaha was suppose to run on Yamalube got a case of it and inside it was Citgo, quit buying that chit because of that jerk that owns Citgo. What I trying to say the 2 buck stuff is just grease or something thats meets the requirments no more. Most all oils are made by a few companys and to their spects. You let the cheap stuff sit on your shelf and it will leak over time and not very long either. The good stuff wont do that. The Citgo always leaked and also leaks out of the gun on the trailer since switching to Lucas it doesnt do that anymore.

Ok.

Anyway. Grease is grease. Pump it into your zerts every other day and you'll be fine. Again, we are talking about spindles and bearings NOT race cars or motorcycles. In fact most spindles come packed now and cant be greased so all people are greasing are casters and levers.

And if you dont want it to separate then dont buy cases of it at a time. One or two tubes is good enough.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Valvoline at Napa is cheap enough and has never separated. I am sure the MOLY or Lithium is adequate for anything on a mower. I believe Napa sources it Napa branded petroleum products from Valvoline.