Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2010, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another Credit Card Question

So, i'm switching to credit cards this upcoming season, which i hope is not too far away. I'm trying to eliminate the hassle of invoices (for me they have become a tedious task, some customers take their time in paying and i don't like to chase people down anymore) but for anyone who accepts credit cards, what works best for you? Are you able to hold onto their credit card info and charge them monthly, or do you charge them every mow? I'm trying to iron this out, so anything will help. Thanks.

P.S. I went back like 25 post to see if there were any other post on this b/c i thought i saw one a while back, but after 25 i gave up.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have it both ways. But most want to be charged monthly. It to me is a pain and has not released me from invoices. Most customers still want an invoice. Which I can hand write out on the spot. But the best thing I have found is doing most of the work with Quick Books. Most all have an E-mail and I send the invoice via e-mail. I went to credit cards 2 years ago and it is true the collection time are quicker overall.
Oh I should say I have the credit card numbers on file in a locked file cab. To make sure they are not stolen they are not marked as such. So that is something to consider.
Good luck!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Member

We accept credit cards. But do not advertise the fact. Don't like paying the fees.

I do not see how you are going to not invoice your customers.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCityLawnCareLLC View Post
So, i'm switching to credit cards this upcoming season, which i hope is not too far away. I'm trying to eliminate the hassle of invoices (for me they have become a tedious task, some customers take their time in paying and i don't like to chase people down anymore) but for anyone who accepts credit cards, what works best for you? Are you able to hold onto their credit card info and charge them monthly, or do you charge them every mow? I'm trying to iron this out, so anything will help. Thanks.

P.S. I went back like 25 post to see if there were any other post on this b/c i thought i saw one a while back, but after 25 i gave up.
I just started accepting credit cards but not because invoicing is a hassle. I would suggest that you start getting your customers email address and emailing the invoices. Some customers are not internet savy so you will continue to mail theres.

For your customers that are slow payers you could require them to pay at the time of service or you can bill there credit card after the service has been completed. It reallt depends on how you bill them. Paying a small fee on a credit card transaction to me makes more sence then my time trying to call/chase them down to get paid.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnWorksofHopkinsville View Post
We accept credit cards. But do not advertise the fact. Don't like paying the fees.

I'm going to be advertising that I accept credit cards on every thing. My trailer, business cards, phone book, door hangers, etc. I think the extra revenue It will generate will far out way the fees involved.

For example: Jane Doe calls Joe Blow's Lawn & Landscape for a estimate on trimming hedges and laying new mulch. He quotes $500 but Janes money is tight and they thought it would only be in the $300 range. Jane Doe will tell Joe "Let me talk to my husband and will give you a call back" We all know what this means most of the time....

Jane Doe then calls Lawnworks out for a estimate on the same job and bids the same amount but you clearly advertise you accept credit cards. Who do you think will have a better chance of getting the job? Well since money is tight for Jane Doe and there credit card is not maxed out yet, I would say Lawnworks is more likely to get the job.

You just increased your revenue by $500 or more minus a small fee. Here is the kicker.... Do a great job and who do you think they will call back for more services in the future? Yep even more revenue!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Most are not going to run up a credit card debt for lawn service. They are going to run up debt for house payments and food. Not lawn care if money is tight.

We have a large account which uses a card for payment is the only reason we still offer them. But like I said, our customers must ask if we take them.

But anyway, Hope it works for you.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnWorksofHopkinsville View Post
Most are not going to run up a credit card debt for lawn service. They are going to run up debt for house payments and food. Not lawn care if money is tight.
You could be right but I'm going to disagree.... We live in a world today where people spend more then what they make. They use credit to fund trips, electronis, food, vehicles, etc... Even though I think credit card companys are thiefs with there interest rates and fees, I'm going to give the customer every option to spend there dollars with me.