Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2003, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

well, if i told u, it wouldnt be a secret anymore. then i wouldnt be able to charge 100 an app
Old 01-19-2003, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh boy!

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if its a secret then its probably not labeld for residential turf. Maybe they should call the dept of Ag. I suppose it kills all the tough ones like clover, wild onion, nimblewill, ground ivy and violets? Shhhhhhhhh your secrets safe with me.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

well in the last year or so I've read some posts that made me dizzy....this one wins the prize for this week......AMAZIN'.....
Old 01-19-2003, 07:14 AM
Banned

lol ....... the secret to beautiful turf is frequent applications.....This is from personal experience on turf with absolutely highest possible maintenance standards and is State University Tested.
8-10 apps. is ideal but were talking quick release with micro's 1/2-3/4 lb N/1000 rates every 3-4 weeks and the site must be irrigated. Have to use iron in the summer. Pre-M in the spring, Grub /Insect in June, Primo Maxx when turf starts actively growing. Unfortunately the public, new fert. applicators etc have been brainwashed into thinking "slow release is the holy grail".I'll be blunt...Slow release is for Dummies. (why?....the margin for error is so low). Unfortunately it is how our industry has evolved. Give me a lawn next to anyones here and if I use 8 applications of ammonium nitrate @1/2-3/4 lb N/1000 rates with irrigation plus iron and Primo you will be shocked. Mrs. Jones though wont pay for 8 apps because newbie said 5 is enough. Nowadays it seems every newbie can and does justs turns up at lesco, gets a 5 step program and woo hoo he is king of the kids.

In my humble opinion of course.

My point is you always get customers who want it looking like Augusta National but want 4 apps of slow release fert.........not going to happen. I Wish Ammonium Nitrate was more readily available unfortunately because of recent events it wont happen and those suppliers who do have it are few and far between so with transport costs its too expensive for me personally.

What was this post about..O Trugreen Pricing. It is a revolving door of new sales reps and techs and usually most have limited to no experience in the turf industry. All they see is a price guide per 1000 sq ft. and a name on the screen or invoice. Call it the worst job on the planet. Anyone of us here could hire 20 telemarketers and make 500 sales a week if we marketed ourselves properly but hey who needs that kind of stress.

Last edited by boohoo; 01-19-2003 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dizzy? Me too!!! I was starting to think you guys should exchange phone numbers but, I got some pretty good info from reading your posts. BTW, is IPM mandatory in your states? Here, it's just a method. It started with the pest control industry and has spread to every type pest industry. IPM to me is,"using every tool in your bag". Sometimes it's confused with waiting for a problem and then reacting. I laughed when I got my issue of turf a few months ago and there was a story of using IPM on sod farms. I'm gearing up for fire ants after reading that one.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes, clover, onion, ivy, cats, dogs, rabbits, even snakes. but we charge extra for the snakes, cus now it falls under the classification: exterminating. i'll get that app up to about $600 by the time im done
Old 01-19-2003, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just debating, and questioning.

8 apps would be better, but unnecassary. I spoon feed in 6 with slow release anyways. Less margin for error is always better.

Deal with employees' then you will learn what that mean, I do all the apps, but got to have my system in place before I put an applicator out on his own.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

boohoo I just going to guess you are 100% liquid applicator. Sounds like that would be my perfect "sales response" to why don't you use slow release? Either that or you work at Monsanto. Better living through chemicals Ehh? Yes maam! I wouldn't skip the growth regulation treatment, since we are zaping you yard with urea every 3 weeks you will need a baler in here if you don't use this. Speakin of du>>>> ies well I'm not going to call anyone names, but who can't do a great job with a prop. thats irrigated. You see thats why universitiy studies are just that, controlled enviroments that have little to do with the real world. Didn't you learn that in college? I guess that it is just human nature to hate the newbees, Hell I hate em. I been in this bnness for prtneer five years and these newcommers come in here with there nwfangled spreader contraptions and coated this and that. They got a lot of nerve! Well I guess I will just have to deal with it.

Mark
Old 01-19-2003, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

huh? bobby< uneducated, no college dummy. thats me. but, im makin about twice what most of the people i graduated with are makin. thank god thier parents had the $ to send them to college, now some of them pump gas.