Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2010, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupesCuts View Post
This is the problem I'm running into. I was using Quaker State SAE 30 and by 50hrs it was black. I could never make it to the 100hr interval. So I decided since I like the Opti-2 so much, I'd try the Opti-4. It's not synthetic like most people think. Even after using that (which is way expensive) I couldn't make it past the 50hr mark. This is why I started this thread so I could find out what is working for you guys out there. Am I going to get 100hrs out of a synthetic? Or should I just go back to my Quaker State and change it often. Which is better? Or is there another option?

I've noticed how Quaker State changes color quickly but you can't always go by color.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 03-01-2010, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_mow_zing View Post
I hope you do realize that outboard oil is intended for water cooled engines only, right? I would guess that these mechanics are dealer mechanics trying to sell more new machines.
Actually both people it came from ether own shops or manage shops and i have been freinds with them for years. I asked the same question and they both said that doesn’t matter. Both of them said the oil is made for high torch and temp motors no matter what cools the motor.

Ether way I know my equipment has out lasting most other companies that I know so I have no complaints about it. The oil is cheaper then most other oils and my equipment is lasting twice as long as other people.

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html
Old 03-01-2010, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupesCuts View Post
Or is there another option?
Sure there is. Just take some 50 hour oil and have it tested. Blackstone Labs will do it for around $20. That may seem like a lot but the number of oil changes you'll stop doing unnecessarly will more than pay for the test. You can't look at oil and see if it's contaminated beyond it's abilty to hold more "garbage" or whether the additives and oil are worn out.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I use schaeffer synthetic blend.My friends equipment is run extremely hard he has a 27 air cooled kohler with over 4000 hours and a 33 air cooled generac with alot of hours they just keep going.the kohler had a oil leak and had run completely out of oil.the mechanic tore the engine down and said it was the cleanest engine he had ever seen with that many hours and that there was no wear .that was alot of hours ago not at 4000.That was good enough to convince me because I no his equipment is rode hard and put up wet.his oil changes are probably not as often as it should be.i use schaeffer on my mower and vehicles now 27 liquid cooled kawasaki.I change at 50 hours. does anyone else use this oil and i am curious as to how it compares to amsoil.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SangerLawn View Post
Actually both people it came from ether own shops or manage shops and i have been freinds with them for years. I asked the same question and they both said that doesnít matter. Both of them said the oil is made for high torch and temp motors no matter what cools the motor.

Ether way I know my equipment has out lasting most other companies that I know so I have no complaints about it. The oil is cheaper then most other oils and my equipment is lasting twice as long as other people.

Alright, I am glad its working out for you. But it should probably be said that if an owner is worried about warranty work that if dealers, most dealers anyway, find out that you are using outboard oil it will immediately void any engine related warranty. Additionally, I have heard that outboard oil isnt as low ash thus it could cause spark arrestor screen problems, but that is easily solved.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You cant judge oil by the color.

Have you ever noticed that when you change the oil in your truck it is still black when you got to check it???

It just is going to be black. IT does not mean its bad though.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Mobil One 10-30 and Amsoil here. Nothing but the best for my babies!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl HP ultra for the 2 cycle stuff and penzoil for the mower leafloader and WB blower
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityGuy View Post
You cant judge oil by the color.

Have you ever noticed that when you change the oil in your truck it is still black when you got to check it???

It just is going to be black. IT does not mean its bad though.
Nope, never noticed that right after an oil change....I believe that means that either the filter wasnt changed or you didnt get all the oil out.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Oil LOOKS dirty way way way before it needs changed, your oil will look black a month after you changed it, that's just the way it is. As long as it doesn't have bits of grit in it and have the consistency of chocolate milk then you're good.

'09 Bad Boy Diesel zt
'97 Bobcat zt
'13 Ferris zt
'13 Horton 7x20 enclosed trailer
'03 7x14 landscape trailer
'96 Dodge Cummins 3500 dump
'95 GMC 2500 Pickup
'97 Dodge Cummins 2500
Honda push mowers
Echo handhelds
Proverbs 22:1

Tags