Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2010, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Making Your Own Parts

Hello everyone,

After doing some research about pond products I was amazed at the high prices.. which translate into shocking prices for customers once labor is added in.

I came onto this site and have picked up some tips while searching through threads on making my own parts and saving alot of money.

I am trying to start this thread to gather everyones ideas on fabbing their own parts and I will try and share what I have found as well.

1.) For pondless waterfalls - roofing membrane liner can be used because no fish (thanks STL Ponds and Waterfalls)

2.) Pondless waterfall basin- Can use a sump pump box, or Drain pipe.. and could even cut it up and make it like a snorkel and centipede.

3.) Waterfall spillway.. you can kinda do the same thing with drain pipe with holes and create a bog effect. I have also seen somewhere a landscape irragation box used.. but dont know how that works.. I have never worked with any?

4.) Foam- Any foam will work.. including Great stuff.. fish safe is a marketing tactic. Just need to worry about color and min or max yield expansion.

5.) Aquablocks in pondless basin- there are some other materials you can use.. not sure maybe someone can chime in here. I know people have said milk crates, but I have also read that someone had problems using them.

So that was what I have learned so far.. please post if you have anything else you would like to add. If anyone also has pictures of projects that they have done using their own parts please post as well
Old 02-22-2010, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To save on the budget you can use slotted corrugated pipe instead of aquablox, but I prefer the blocks for support and cleanouts.

Foam. Aquascapes is the best Period! You waste to much money with great stuff and the other do it yourself cans. The best is get a foam insulation gun and use the pro foam cans. It saves you time and you get more usable foam out of the cans. Don't buy the pricey guns the cheap ones work fine and they alwways get clogged up after time anyway.

Some customersa that are smart and do a little research prefer to see the name brand parts being used. This is were reading the customer helps out sometimes.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Here is just my two cents, I looked at this to don't try to reinvent the wheel manufactures come out with products for a reason to make it easy for installers and remember there is more than one manufacture out there. this is where you have to listen to your customer and find out what there budget is and fit a product to that budget.I have had no problem selling water features with the equipment I've been installing even with the way things are today. Hope this helps.

Pondering Waters
Old 03-01-2010, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I suppose I would have to figure in the time to fab up parts as well. After thinking about it more I think just buying quality at a good price makes more sense. I will have to shop around at the different manufactures. All I have seen and used in projects so far is Aquascape

It is always good to know where I can modify if the budget demands it though.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been using PondBuilder equipment and have been very satisfied so far. you just have to look at other equipment and find what works for you and your customer.I was a CAC and started off using Aquascape I do miss the classes and trainning and you can't beat the marketing I just wanted to be able to use other products.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just pondering View Post
I have been using PondBuilder equipment and have been very satisfied so far. you just have to look at other equipment and find what works for you and your customer.I was a CAC and started off using Aquascape I do miss the classes and trainning and you can't beat the marketing I just wanted to be able to use other products.
Do you have to be a CAC to go to the classes and training? I thought anyone could go?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponddude View Post
Do you have to be a CAC to go to the classes and training? I thought anyone could go?
I've never been a CAC so correct me if I'm wrong but they get more advanced training an marketing for being loyal to Aquascape. Anyone can go to build a pond days and training they offer to the public contractors. I haven't persued being a CAC for the same reason above. I want to use whatever I see necessary to build MY ponds and Waterfalls. I don't use biolfalls (waterfall boxes) because I can build one myself that looks more natrual than any other box type waterfall and they filter just as good if not better.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Ponds and Waterfalls View Post
I've never been a CAC so correct me if I'm wrong but they get more advanced training an marketing for being loyal to Aquascape. Anyone can go to build a pond days and training they offer to the public contractors. I haven't persued being a CAC for the same reason above. I want to use whatever I see necessary to build MY ponds and Waterfalls. I don't use biolfalls (waterfall boxes) because I can build one myself that looks more natrual than any other box type waterfall and they filter just as good if not better.
What method did you end up choosing with the natural weir? I have been reading up on them and the thread on here and it looks like there are more then one way to make your own.

Anyone have any idea what this guy does?

autumnmistaquatics.com