Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2003, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What is your #1 marketing procedure?

I want to hear from people that stuff has really worked, and ways that it has worked. I still believe that word of mouth and just being on the job site works for me, but I really want to know.

I have tried direct mail, web site, bill board, postcards, flyers, door hangers, just about everything. Now I want to hear from others what actually works for them, how it works, and why it works for them and not others?
Old 01-19-2003, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Front page newspaper advertising.
A yellow post it note stuck to the front of every newspaper.
I don't think anything can beat it.
For four years, we ran that post-it the first week of March.

We did it for four years in a row. Hundreds and hundreds of calls from it. Newspaper circulation roughly 16,000. Cost was between $500.00 and $600.00. Each year the cost went up slightly but was never more than $600.00.

Newspaper subscribers who weren't interested in our service would pass that post-it note on to relatives, neighbors, etc that didn't receive a paper.
We have gone on estimates, been invited in to the customers kitchen, and there on the refrigerator is our post it note. One guy had all 4 four them on his refrig.

Without this post-it note, I doubt very much we would still be in business. We never would have been able to acquire enough customers that quickly our first year to have supported ourselves as this is our only endeavor. (When we went into business for ourselves, we jumped right in, so it was sink or swim.) That post-it note kept us floating.

Now going into our fifth year of business, this will be the first time we don't do the post-it note.
We have a large customer base of nearly 100. It's time to tighten the route and just really selectively target certain neighborhoods.

How will we target those neighborhoods? You guessed it! A yellow post-it note (professionally printed) stuck to the front door.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is such a good idea. I would never have thought of that before. We are going to try this year door hangers. We tried some last year, but we didn't like the way we went about doing it so we are changing the format and trying it again.

Basically the door hangers said in a nutshell, "We noticed that your lawn is lacking proper care, landscaping, lawn care, etc." Let's just say that we didn't like the wording because we felt like we were putting down the neighbor of our customer.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Front page newspaper advertising. A Yellow Post it notes stuck to the front of every newspaper.
What did your note say? Who provided the Yellow Post it note?

This sounds like a very good idea for reaching a wide area of potential customers. I would like to know more about this idea.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

I designed the post-it note myself using Microsoft Publisher.
Took the copy over to the newspaper, and all they had to do was send it away. ( I do not know what company they used to do the printing as they would not release that information to me.)

Went with the traditional yellow paper, although there was other colors of paper to choose from. (blue, white, and pink)
And then went with green ink.

Size of Post it was 4x3.

Each year I changed it around and worded it different, adding different services as we became more experienced.

Company name in bold print at the top of the note.
Underneath Company slogan.

Professional Lawn Maintenance.

Then underneath that the services we provided.
Last year was our first year to offer a fertilization package after becoming certified, so we listed that too.

*Spring Clean-ups *Cut & Trim
*Fertilization Packages *Hedge Maintenance
*Core Aerations *Mulching

Schedule your Free Estimate EARLY
Fully Insured
Phone Number

All perfectly centered on the note along with a nice border around the edge.

Your newspaper has to offer this type of advertising. Sorta like inserting flyers in the newspaper. Our newspaper offered that service too, but we chose the post-it note instead.
People don't want to hang on to a big flyer. But a post-it note staring you right in your face on the front page can't be missed, and it is something easy to hold on to.