Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2010, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Lesco dual drum aerator and like it a lot because it turns and can be steered.

Most aerators work well.....I like a decent size tine on mine for a good plug.

The biggest mistake i see people making with aeration in general is doing it on dry hard soil. You need to do it after a good rain or after irrigating for best results especially if the soil is clay or really compacted.

I used a ryan lawnaire walk behind reciprocating (cam type) aerator once and it about shook me to death.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have a lesco 30 & the lawn solutions, both walk behind drum style. They both do a great job. The lesco is old technology, its much harder to operate and it takes 3 passes to pull as many plugs as the lawn solutions pulls on 1. If there is little or no moisture in the topsoil, dont aerate! Its unethical to charge people for a premium service thats for the most part ineffective.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 3 aerators. We have been using two old Bluebirds that I bought used from rental stores. Paid $300 for one and $500 for the other. The "new" aerator is a Ryan lawnaire 28. I bought it used for $2800 (I know, yikes!) Its much easier on the operator and pulls many more plugs than the old Bluebirds.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call Lawn Solutions... friendly people.... their walk behind aerator make aerating enjoyable!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
....snip....Plugrs are interesting. Havent seen enough of them in use to tell if they hold up well. One downside to them is you cant drive them up a board like you can with the drum type. The only one that would is the top of the line self propelled model which would need ramps to get in/out of a truck or what not....the Lawnaire 28 would need the same thing though and its a beast.

The non self propel Plugrs do pull themselves along when aerating but wouldnt work the way alot of my customers put them into a van. 2x12 with alot of chunks taken out from driving drum aerators up them...LOL
I own the Plugr 850 Hydro drive model w/ Honda GX200 had it for almost 2 years now. Unless all your properties you will be aerating are super flat ...I believe you will regret buying the PL 800, 600 etc. If you're going to buy a Plugr...get the 850HD or the newer 855HD. The newer 855 appears to be simpler and easier to maintain. The fiddle factor with my 850HD adjusting belts has been fairly constant. Running a Plugr on rocky soil is not very fun - running it on soft ground is a piece of cake. In my area the tines [set of 8] wear out quickly. Running my 850 down a a steepish hill is not fun - it's always better to go uphill to control the speed. The pounding the machine has taken in our rocky soil has caused the spot weld to break on the top cover slide guides and has shaken of the kill switch on the Honda engine.

I was inclined to get the Ryan 28 tricycle cam driven model 2 years ago but the higher cost new scarred me off along with the lack of a reverse and a higher operational center gravity. I have been told the Ryan 28 pulls deeper plugs than the plugrs however the new 855HD weigh more than the 850 so I'm sure this will help. I still want to try out a Ryan 28 just so I can directly compare.

I never thought I'd want or buy one [rolling tine aerator] but I have a Lawn Solutions WB rolling tine aerator on order. I have never demoed one but from what I can tell it is the easiest to use of all the rolling tine types. I will post a review....

I hope to get it soon. David when is it shipping out?

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.