Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2010, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
read what is highlighted in red below please. not every state is MA. every states laws are different. you can't get covered under workmans comp in every state. so to say it is his choice is incorrect.
Notice, how I mentioned MA law. I didn't say federal law or state laws. I said, MA law. That's because I know that every state is different. When you tell a person he is "incorrect", there should be some proof behind your words. My business was once in RI. In RI, an owner does not have to be covered. But, it's that owners's choice. What state is he in. Are you trying to say that his state would not allow him to have worker's comp, if he wanted it.
Give us some fact's behind your comments.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
Notice, how I mentioned MA law. I didn't say federal law or state laws. I said, MA law. That's because I know that every state is different. When you tell a person he is "incorrect", there should be some proof behind your words. My business was once in RI. In RI, an owner does not have to be covered. But, it's that owners's choice. What state is he in. Are you trying to say that his state would not allow him to have worker's comp, if he wanted it.
Give us some fact's behind your comments.
the facts behind my comments are you said it was his choice NOT to have workers comp when he is a solo operator.

my comment was some states don't allow you to have workers comp when you are solo. workers comp is usually used for employee's, NOT owners.

so my point is he is a solo operator that may NOT have a choice because purhaps in his state he can not get workers comp on himself.

not all states ALLOW you to cover yourself with workers. there's no CHOICE is that.....

its a good possiblity his state wouldn't allow him to have workers comp if he wanted because he is a solo operator.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I was talking to a guy who takes his trucks and equip to get fuel by himself at the end of the day to avoid paying guys to sit in the truck while 1 fuels the equip. I prefer to have them fuel at the end of the day when they are eager to get out rather than in the morning when they want to hang around and get coffee and chat.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Member

As for workers comp for the owner, i believe that basically all you do is get Disability Ins. on your self. Some ins companies wont let you add yourself to the workers comp. plan so you have to get personal disability Ins on yourself which is basically the same thing.
1994 f450 flatbed
1980 f150
14 ft PJ gooseneck dump trailer
16 Ft Lawn Trailer
6x12 Haulmark Enclosed Trailer
Grasshopper 432 61
2 Greatdane 52" SuperSurfers
48" Greatdane scamper
24hp Honda Leaf Vac
4 StihlKM110-Chainsaw,trimmer,edger,brushcutter, ext
stihl handhelds; Chainsaw, Blowers, Weedeaters
Brown Bed edger
Bluebird Powerseeder
30x40 Heated Shop 40x60 Equipment Pole Barn
20x48 coldframe house
Old 03-04-2010, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
the facts behind my comments are you said it was his choice NOT to have workers comp when he is a solo operator.

my comment was some states don't allow you to have workers comp when you are solo. workers comp is usually used for employee's, NOT owners.

so my point is he is a solo operator that may NOT have a choice because purhaps in his state he can not get workers comp on himself.

not all states ALLOW you to cover yourself with workers. there's no CHOICE is that.....

its a good possiblity his state wouldn't allow him to have workers comp if he wanted because he is a solo operator.
Alot of talk but, no facts as usual.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
got rid of insurance, saved a bundle.
dumb move.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
Alot of talk but, no facts as usual.
maybe no facts but the point was you saying he has a choice could very well be incorrect. he may not have a choice being solo.