Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Employee productivity rates.

I've had the same crew for several years now working mainly the same route, a landscape maintenance route. On average they (2 employees, 1 52" Z, 1 48" walk behind, and several trimmers, blowers etc.) take roughly 45 min. to mow an hour per acre for the both of them. That includes trimming, edging, clean up, etc. Am I getting too comfortable with this pace of work, or are my employees a little lax? We do a lot of softscape/hardscape work, which leaves all my maintenance work to this crew, and I really do not have another maintenance crew to compare productivty with. Opinions welcome.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

little slow , but not much, if they are doing a good job. you have to decide if they are doing a good job or riding the clock. i have had both 1 crew taking their time doing a good job, the other crew spending more time on their cel phone than work. guess which crew is no longer employed.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

45 mins seems alright as long as everything is looking good...if its shaggy and stuff is skipped then that's another story
Old 03-03-2010, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I can't understand the working (45 to mow an hour per acre?) but there is really no substitute for going out and doing it once yourself with a stopwatch on it. Or at least observing and timing them. That way you KNOW how long it takes.

Odds are if not supervised they will be a little slower/slacker than they could be, but that's just part of human nature.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for input

Yeah, not sure where the hour part of that came from. But they have been taking 45 min. per acre. It seems I get so caught up with the larger installs that I forget about the maintenance aspect, but looking at it now I think I will tak a trip myself and see how the pace is. They do a nice job, straight striping, clean cut edging, everything is crisp when they leave, just wanted to get a guage on where I stood with the time being consumed, thanks guys!

Tags
labor , mowing , per acre , productivity , rate