Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tine Rake Dethatcher & Front Mount Grasshopper

Hey guys. My first question is this: do Tine Rake Dethatcher's really do that good of a job. I have never used one, but was thinking about getting one this year. The videos I have seen don't make them look that great at all. They don't look like they would be able to fix a major thatch problem.

Also, I have a Grasshopper front mount. Is the only one that works with my mower a JRCO? Because I heard people have problems with the Tines flying off.

In the past I have always rented dethatchers. Does anyone else know of a quick way to dethatch well? I can always go over it with my mower if there is some other piece of equipment to use for the dethatching.

Thanks guys
Old 03-05-2010, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the same type that Jrco sells, it goes on the front of my grasshopper front mount. i would find it hard to believe that there is a faster and better way to dethatch a lawn, it does a great job. Also i have been using mine for 4 years at around 150 lawns a spring and have never broke a tine off.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The JRCO dethatcher is a tine rake dethatcher, so don't expect it to fix a MAJOR thatch problem in one pass, you'd have to make multiple passes. A power rake would probably do a better job if it were a major thatch problem. I've owned my JRCO dethatcher for 3 years and use it every spring. I've never had any problems with tines flying off. If there is a major thatch problem you could probably dethatch the property a couple times and that should pull up most of what you want.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-05-2010, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I also run Grasshopper front mounts but I use the power-broom in reverse rotation first. Then use the Vac unit on the other Grasshopper to suck up all the thatch. You'd be suprised how much more you can get over just useing a tine rake dethatcher. JMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2010, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ECO, what size decks to you have on your grasshoppers? I have a 61" deck and I have major problems with my deck scalping on uneven ground. A lot of areas around me don't have sewer systems, they have the gullys along the road. At the bottom of the gullys is where I have the biggest problems. Any advice?

Seems like the wheels on the deck to prevent this are not far enough out on the deck.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I have three grasshopper decks 48" 52" 61". I mainly use the 52" it's the best of both worlds. My broom is a 48" so the strips line up nice. Around here is hilly but large. Think spring!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2010, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

As for the gullys try a push thatcher and a walk behind or blow the thatch up to your grasshopper mower-vac.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2010, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use a JRCO, and do a little more than 30 per year. It is very fast, I can knock out about 6 per day. People have me do it every year. I do at least 2 passes.

It is not as thorough as an old school dethatcher. But customers love the results.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 03-05-2010, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok, im going to buy a JRCO dethatcher then.. lol right...... NOW