Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2010, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kubota makes large diesel ZTR mowers similar to the Massey Ferguson mower. They have: hydraulic deck lift with adjustment knob, suspension seat, deep decks, shaft driven deck, dual belt connecting the blades, wet clutch PTO, Kubota diesel engine (up to 31 hp, I believe), casters that double as mower jack, and are similar in weight to the Massey Ferguson.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbart View Post
I just ran across an ad for a 2009 with 350 hours on it for $9000.00 !! How much do they sell for new?
They are $13-14k new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleedge View Post
Kubota makes large diesel ZTR mowers similar to the Massey Ferguson mower. They have: hydraulic deck lift with adjustment knob, suspension seat, deep decks, shaft driven deck, dual belt connecting the blades, wet clutch PTO, Kubota diesel engine (up to 31 hp, I believe), casters that double as mower jack, and are similar in weight to the Massey Ferguson.
I own both, a Massey with a 33 hp diesel 72" deck and two Kubotas, both 331's one with 60" deck and bagger and the other a 72". I would reccomend the Kubotas over the Massey every day of the week and twice on Sunday. The Kubotas are so much better of a machine.

2012 GMC 3500HD
9'2" Boss Power V Snowplow
Sno-Ex Sand Pro
2001 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel
9'2" Boss Power VXT Snowplow
1.75 yard sander
2013 22' Suretrac HD Skid Steer trailer
2012 24' Suretrac HD Deckover trailer
2011 72" Kubota ZD331 Diesel
2009 60" Kubota ZD331 Diesel (with bagger)
Stihl trimmers, echo PAS
Old 03-07-2010, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

interesting how you changed your opinions MSS over a couple years ago when you thought your massey was the cats meow!
Old 03-07-2010, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I thought MF had their own engines? I think they do on their farm tractors anyway? Just curious, Are their ZTRs expensive or in line with others.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
interesting how you changed your opinions MSS over a couple years ago when you thought your massey was the cats meow!
Yeah, it has definately changed with time. Once I bought the first Kubota 331, I knew that the Massey would never measure up.

2012 GMC 3500HD
Sno-Ex Sand Pro
1.75 yard sander
Stihl trimmers, echo PAS
Old 03-07-2010, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS Mow View Post
Yeah, it has definately changed with time. Once I bought the first Kubota 331, I knew that the Massey would never measure up.
Can you elaborate? Just wondering what changed your mind.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
I thought MF had their own engines? I think they do on their farm tractors anyway? Just curious, Are their ZTRs expensive or in line with others.
I have a Massey Ferguson 240 and it has a Perkins 3 cyl. diesel. I also have a Cushman 72" Frontline mower and it has a Kubota 3 cyl. diesel. Go figure....
Old 03-08-2010, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Can you elaborate? Just wondering what changed your mind.
I don't mind at all. The kubota provides a better cut (even though the MF provides a good cut too), the kubota provides a much better, more comfortable ride (which is critical when riding all day), the antiscalp wheels work much better on the kubota, the kubota will discharge the grass a country mile, whereas the MF barely gets it out the discharge chute (this also helps in blowing off paved drives with the Kubota), the kubota, though 2 less HP has way more power, and finally, dealer service.

My kubota dealer, while they have their faults, at least are familiar with and can work on my kubota Z. Whereas the MF dealer is not at all familiar with the MF Z. The MF Z is new to the market here in the Northeast, and I bought the first one my dealer sold. The have since only sold 2-3 units (all to private farms), therefore they have little to no knowledge and even fewer parts in stock for them.

2012 GMC 3500HD
Sno-Ex Sand Pro
1.75 yard sander
Stihl trimmers, echo PAS
Old 03-08-2010, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS Mow View Post
I don't mind at all. The kubota provides a better cut (even though the MF provides a good cut too), the kubota provides a much better, more comfortable ride (which is critical when riding all day), the antiscalp wheels work much better on the kubota, the kubota will discharge the grass a country mile, whereas the MF barely gets it out the discharge chute (this also helps in blowing off paved drives with the Kubota), the kubota, though 2 less HP has way more power, and finally, dealer service.

My kubota dealer, while they have their faults, at least are familiar with and can work on my kubota Z. Whereas the MF dealer is not at all familiar with the MF Z. The MF Z is new to the market here in the Northeast, and I bought the first one my dealer sold. The have since only sold 2-3 units (all to private farms), therefore they have little to no knowledge and even fewer parts in stock for them.
Thanks! I see an Iseki version doing road sides here. They have the stamped deck and it seems to do a pretty fair job, cutting real rubbish grass that should probably be done with a bush hog. I havent seen one on nice lawns though!
When they came out I checked one over. Seemed a very large machine, to big for me. I know a guy who used to do a lot of work for the city. He ran Iseki out fronts and loved/swore by them. He bypassed the ztr and went to Scag. He became a Scag dealer actually. Point is, if he thought the Iseki ztrs were good, he would of stuck with them!

Anyway, cheers for the info!