Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2007, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Neuswede,
There is no way of the face of the planet that you can learn how to weld properly in a one day class. I have been welding since 2000 and still dont know everything about it and i can weld pretty damn good.
Markf
Be sure you get steel diamond plate. It is impossible to weld steel and aluminium together.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am also going to suggest you dont weld all the way across, side to side or top to bottom, at one time. Even spot welding the wire mesh will warp the ramp frame. Start in the middle of the mesh and work your way to the outside edges. This will keep the mesh tight and flat on the frame. Make spot welds about 6 inches apart working in an + pattern, alternating between top and bottom and left and right so the metal doesnt get to hot and you will limit warping.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ditto Gunthrie..

Been welding 30 years..you need 'time' and 'practice' and 'experience' to get to be good at it. You can learn to get by with simple welding..maybe with 10+ hours use but remember that even though the metal appears welded..if not done right it could come apart with good jolt or viberation going down road. with experience you learn the heat ranges verses speed of wire..you learn heat range to penetrate the thickness of steel. You also learn where to weld for best strength. Their are better patterns to use for certain types of welding pending on what it is thats being welded. also vertical welding takes time to learn how to do as the metal flows differant than when welding horizontal. I try to weld most things at 45 degrees..gets nice smooth welds. You also need to grind angles at edges being welded to get good penetration..on some applications. Guess it boils down to this: Don't try and build a high risk structure with 1-2 days experience..but jump right in and 'practice' and go ahead and build stuff if not really a dangerouss thing if weld does come apart. you need to 'weld' to get the experience. P.S. buy a 'used' namebrand welder before buying a 'new' cheap one ( harbor frieght-chicago elec,ect..) and I'd buy min. of 135 amp and 220 volt. (use gas with wire- better weld than flux wire) and..those old 20 year old Lincoln 225 welders are great stick welders to use- and cheap to buy. Try to find one thou with AC/DC if can. Geno