Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2010, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crousehouse4 View Post
Still didn't work. I had the lights connected before but not the trailer hitch to the car. I just tried them again with the hitch to the car and there is no change.
The trailer end that plugs into the truck will have a white wire about 2 ft long. Bolt that to a ground on the trailer.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
The trailer end that plugs into the truck will have a white wire about 2 ft long. Bolt that to a ground on the trailer.
then make sure the white wire on the vehicle is grounded to the chassis somewhere. Doing this will allow the lights to work without the coupler/ball connected. Even though I have no clue why the lights would need to work if the trailer is disconnected.

Also for future reference, green is right and yellow is left. Brown is park/running lights.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Trailer attached to the CAR? This thread really needs pics.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Every year for the past 5 years I've had to replace the wires and/or lights on my trailer. I had no clue why the lights would stop working on me. I just bought the new LED lights with a wiring kit today and re-wired everything and replaced the lights. Only one light was working. So I took the light over to the other side (the side that was working) and checked to make sure I didn't get a defective light, and it worked. It took me a while but I figured out that it wasn't getting a good ground. So I cleaned the hole where the bolt goes and whata ya know it worked. Hopefully no more annual re-wiring... I'll check the ground first if anything goes wrong in the future. I also checked my fuses and the fuse for the light that didn't work was blown. It still didn't work after I replaced it until I found out it was the ground wire that was the problem. So my advice is to check the fuses and figure out the ground problem.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well Mr Larson ya still did the right thing. It takes about 10 min to run new wiring as opposed to possibly hrs fixing nicked wires. I run a new set every couple of yrs.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

common ground is the leading cause of faulty lights on trailers. ALWAYS make sure you have a good ground to the trailer and the light fixtures are grounded well too.

I worked at a U-Haul center for 13 years. They are the worst for getting lights to work as they use the hitch to ground the trailer. I can't even begin to tell you how many ground wires I had to run to trailers from vehicles just to get the lights to work. Then the hundreds of trailers I built from scratch and wired up.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Correction, I worked at a "dealer" for 13 years. We were a authorized repair shop for U-Haul. I was the guy you'd see laying on his back under a U-Haul truck sitting on the side of the road in the rain with water running in my pants leg and out my armpit. Man I hated dealing with break downs. The only thing that kept me doing them was the pay. $35hr from the time I left my house to the time I got home. Most breakdowns were 3-4hrs each. 2-3 a week and I had another paycheck!

Ever try to replace a exhaust manifold on a 1990 E-350 with a big block 460 in it? If ever asked to do it, PASS. Biggest PITA ever.

Tags
lights , trailer , wires