Register free!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

3PT Seeders

Has any one here ever seeded a new sports field with a 3pt seeder and then hydromulched over that? We have a job this spring that's a 12 acre job with a soccer field and practice area. They call for seeding with a ground driven seeder and then applying the mulch with the hydroseeder. I was looking at getting a landpride OS1572 or a APS1572. Anyone ever use either of these?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use a 5 ft ground drive drill seeder and hydro seeder .but not 12 acres .We would have to pitch tents or borrow another company's finn cannon on a big truck chassis.Are you seeding bareground ?Is it viable to over seed existing turf ? When are the kiddie gonna be on the field? I am afraid we would have to pass or see if they take abid with blown oat straw instead of mulch. It Would be a good opportunity to pay for new fandangeled 3point ,PTO power seeders.Money is tight and times are hard.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

It is bare ground. We have two hydroseeders a Bowie 3000 gallon and a TurfMaker 900 gallon. I will rent two 3pt seeders if I need too. I have two tractors that can handle 7 or 8 footers. I will also be spreading fert. with pto driven spreaders at 450 lbs per acre of triple 13. It's the biggest project we've landed. Were looking at one or two more for this year.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you got equipment.maybe you can rent to buy a couple seeders and if you fall in love with em ,take one home .Fertilizer sounds a little heavy.We use the tri 13 starter at lower rates,mix it into the hydro seeder with some of the required seed.After the grass is up safe to be on we give it a shot of cheap N.We have been looking at some of the landspride units ,some of those units do everything but make coffee in one pass .I would check if the specs require true ground equipment or they just do not want it broad casted .Heck,most of the school systems and municipalities have ongoing budget issues .
Old 03-09-2010, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

The units I would rent would be Landpride. Local Bobcat dealer rents them. They call for drilling it in in two passes at 90 degree's. We have to maintain it for 45 days after planting. Another fert app, mowing and weed spray if it calls for it. I think we are going to try the Landpride APS 1572.